1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extra-Curricular provisions for SEN, e.g. art and drama therapy

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by lekallan, May 20, 2016.

1. lekallan

lekallan New commenter

Hello all,

I am a Social Communications HLTA at a secondary school in London, and am trying to find out more about schools that use alternative provisions to support students (SEN or otherwise) in their social development/emotional management.

I know of some mainstream schools using drama therapists, art therapists, or having outside workshops (drumming etc) come in to the school.

What is everyone's experience of these kinds of strategies?

Thanks!

2. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

We have art therapy and music therapy in school for selected students and I believe drama therapy as well.
    The sessions are given by the therapists so I don't know exactly what happens in them but one of my students goes for music therapy and it benefits him.

lekallan likes this.
  3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Some of our HLTAs have trained as THRIVE practitioners. They work with individuals and groups. It seems to be having a really positive effect.

lekallan likes this.
  4. lekallan

lekallan New commenter

Great, thanks so much. That's just the kind of thing I'm interested in.

I am looking for some schools to visit to see how these kinds of provisions are run. I'm not really sure what the rules are for this on TES- am I allowed to ask where your schools are/what they're called? (only if you were willing to share of course!)

5. Shaunjoseph

Shaunjoseph New commenter

There should be special training for art and drama therapy from preschool to the children.It will improve their psychology and skills.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    has trained thrive children along with drumming into the school so that they can use these skills for their successful career.

6. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

You could PM conversation me or say something vague like I could maybe manage to visit schools within greater London area or "The North West" or whatever.