1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extra curricular items on my cv

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sinead0202, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Hi all!

I am a student teacher and looking to now apply for jobs!
    At Uni today we were discussing CV's and personal statements! I have come away worried I do not have enough extra curricular activities to put down that will separate me from the crowd.

Any ideas of how I can get some in a short space of time that aren't too expensive and will help me get a job?

Any other tips would also be great!

Thanks

Sinead xx

2. Hi all!

I am a student teacher and looking to now apply for jobs!
    At Uni today we were discussing CV's and personal statements! I have come away worried I do not have enough extra curricular activities to put down that will separate me from the crowd.

Any ideas of how I can get some in a short space of time that aren't too expensive and will help me get a job?

Any other tips would also be great!

Thanks

Sinead xx

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

A few recently acquired hobbies won't get you a teaching job.

OK so you don't have those, so make sure you have something else.

Brilliant references from hugely successful school placements will be the best way to get a job. A lot of examples of how you have enabled children to learn and make progress will help as well.

Reading all the advice on the jobseekers sections and following out might well be all you need.

4. I've been told they're more looking at that as a way of seeing how else you might contribute to the school. I'm English, so I've talked about reading, writing, theatre stuff that links into extra-curricular things. Think about the spin you can put on stuff you already do.

5. Hi Sinead,
    Could you talk to your current placement school and offer to set up a lunchtime or after school club? It could just be small scale for the children in your class. You could link this to something you enjoy doing (arts and crafts, dancing, sports, cooking, ICT - it could be anything!)

Good luck!

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

All great suggestions -don't overlook a basic first aid certificate and any particular sport or artistic/practical skills you have- a recent appointment i know of got the job on the back of offering to run a cycle club