1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extra-Curricular Geography Club ideas?

Discussion in 'Geography' started by zimon, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Hello!
    I'm a GTP, and I'm in the process of trying to start an extra-curricular geography club at our school - with a bit of luck we should be up and running after Easter, and I'm trying to get a few ideas sorted out before we start so we can advertise....

Does anyone have any ideas or experiences they can suggest or share please?

I'm thinking of having some arts & crafts type things - creating a glacial landscape from paper mache, make a working volcano and stuff like that, but does anyone have any other fun/interesting ideas that they'd like to share please??

Any help welcome!

Thanks

Zimon

2. Some fantastic ideas in this blog:
    http://sayersjohn.blogspot.com/

3. e26

e26

After years of wanting to run a club but never quite coming up with a focus, I now run a Geography in the News Club! It's only been on for a few months with a few regular members but it's really good. They come at lunchtime and look through the newspapers for geography stories, or go off and research stories on the internet. Our main purpose is to keep our Geo in the News notice board updated with newspaper articles, front pages, summaries, etc.
    For the Japan earthquake and tsunami we had an emergency session and put 10 front pages up on the board.

Sell it to the kids by saying it's a bit like working for a newspaper/being a journalist/finding stories. Geography is what's happening in the world right now, etc etc! I made a ppt with all the geo news stories from the last year and showed it to classes to recruit. Let me know if you want any more info!

4. Some great stuff on that blog, thanks!

I do like the geography in the news idea. I'll speak to my HOD and see if there's a spare notice board somewhere in school....
    Even if it's not the whole aim of the club, it's a great idea that we can do once a month or so. I imagine it'd help keep the subject seen as current and up to date too!

I would definitley be interested in some more info if you have it! Thank you!

5. Have a look at Oddizzi, www.oddizzi.com, its based on Geography curriculum but I've used it for other parts of the day as well as there's a live Newsround feed and suggested cross curricular activities like drawing river gods etc. You can a take a free trial to have a look and seems good value?

6. Hi, this sounds really good....I'm in a similar situation - if you have any useful extra info. I would be interested/grateful to hear it!

Thanks.

7. If GIN takes off the students can bring in their own news stories and take turns curating a display board.

Perhaps the club has its own subside/blog/sharing board on the intranet or school website?

8. Once you've made a paper mache glacial landscape, try using golden syrup to simulate the movement of ice down the valley. Try putting obstacles in its path and watch what happens - simulates very closely how ice travels - just a wee bit quicker!

9. I run a geog club there are loads of activities out there you can sign up to

The Pod (all about getting your school Eco Status)
    Sky Rainforest Challenge
    The Flat Stanley Project (my lot LOVED this)
    All of the above once you have signed up just sorts itself out.
    Amy

dwilliams3193 likes this.
  10. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I found with KS3 anything that involved
    making things. We're on the Isle of Wight and have iguanodon footprint casts on
    a beach, so made those out of chicken wire. I love the papier mache volcano
    that erupts. Also 3D OS maps out of corrugated cardboard or polystyrene ceiling
    tiles - give them a blown up OS map, transfer onto card/polystyrene and cut out
    contour lines to build up your map, pop up hurricanes, pop up volcanoes.
    Anything you wouldn't have time (or a learning objective to fulfil) in a
    classroom!
    Enjoy it would be my advice!

11. fl100

fl100 New commenter

We've done waste related stuff included a "waste audit"...they got to don rubber gloves and seperate waste from the bins and make a presentation to the school with graphs to show what's thrown away...staff room bin was found to be the worst! They loved it!

12. Hi,

I am in my probation year and started a geography club within the department and have made erupting volcanoes (this had me 35 kids at one point) then moved onto making a classroom rainforest (out of recyclable materials). We are now continuing with the rainforest theme and making Amerindian headdresses and jewellery from pasta and string and the kids are loving this too.

I have uploaded the worksheets and teacher notes onto the resources section.

Pamela

13. My students love Model UN club. They take on the role of delegates from other countries and debate topics of global importance. It not only improves their knowledge of the topic being discussed, but enables them to research, debate and work collaboratively for a solution. They have represented the school at many conferences and learned from many students in other schools. There are many international opportunities associated with Model UN too and I hope to take my students abroad for a conference at some point.

14. This sounds great as I'm trying to combine history/geography sort of club. How did you get started with all of this as it seems very daunting... I have no idea where to start!!

Thanks for your advice.

15. Hello, this sounds fantastic and I'd like to know more of your ideas! I was guna start an eco warriors group but decided it would end up being litter picks every lunchtime!!!

Any ideas greatly appreciated

Jen

16. Hi Zimon,

Take a look at www.waterexplorer.org.uk

It's a free programme and perfect for a Geography club. Hundreds of activities and suopporting resources for you. If you would like some support in this or more information please contact me at schools@waterexplorer.org

Thanks

Rachel

17. sorry...www.waterexplorer.org

18. shwana235

shwana235 New commenter

QUOTE="e26, post: 6653698, member: 275520"]After years of wanting to run a club but never quite coming up with a focus, I now run a Geography in the News Club! It's only been on for a few months with a few regular members but it's really good. They come at lunchtime and look through the newspapers for geography stories, or go off and research stories on the internet. Our main purpose is to keep our Geo in the News notice board updated with newspaper articles, front pages, summaries, etc.
    For the Japan earthquake and tsunami we had an emergency session and put 10 front pages up on the board.

Sell it to the kids by saying it's a bit like working for a newspaper/being a journalist/finding stories. Geography is what's happening in the world right now, etc etc! I made a ppt with all the geo news stories from the last year and showed it to classes to recruit. Let me know if you want any more info![/QUOTE]

Hello. Can i have some more info about your activity?

19. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Hi

@shwana235

The person you were trying to contact hasn't posted since 2013. No real suggestions, maybe send them a pm?

Good luck