1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extra Curricular Debate Club

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by dannyb_uk, Feb 25, 2017.

1. dannyb_uk

dannyb_uk New commenter

Hello. I'm hoping to set up a debating club as an extra curricular activity starting from September. I thought I might as well start getting prepared early and wondered whether anyone has any advice on useful websites or groups I can get resources and ideas from, or even any societies which run competitions we could enter? I am aware of the Rotary Youth Speakers competition, any others you'd recommend?

Thanks for your help!

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

3. fineliner

fineliner Occasional commenter

4. dannyb_uk

dannyb_uk New commenter

Ah they're both brilliant, thanks so much!

5. bkingsnorth

bkingsnorth New commenter

6. thebeerking79

thebeerking79 New commenter

7. godwin86

godwin86 New commenter

8. dbregman

dbregman New commenter

The ESU runs the Schools Mace (information here), will do debating workshops for you if you want something to kick-start what you're doing, and has a lot of excellent resources free here. Oxford and Cambridge both run big schools competitions in British Parliamentary (BP) format, and depending where you are lots of university debating societies run one-day weekend debating competitions (Googling '[name of university] schools debating competition' is your best bet) also in BP format.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018
  9. msuxg

msuxg New commenter