1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extra-Curricular and Co-Curricular Ideas?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by tomgav, Apr 13, 2017.

1. tomgav

tomgav New commenter

Hi there!

I'm currently on a part-time contract until the end of the year but have another interview for the same position. The classes are going really well and I am not worried about that side of it. In saying this, I am worried about finding or creating certain extra or co-curricular activities. Since I arrived at the school in March, the majority of these have been already organised and taken like the school football team and I get the feeling teachers feel like I am stepping on their toes when I ask them if they need help with their event or activity.

I'm an English and Geography teacher and wondering do people have any ideas of things I can do at lunch or after school, whether it be an existing one of new one for the remainder of the year. I know it will be one of the main questions at the interview stage and obviously if you do clubs or events on your own time it does show you are committed.

2. Ryan91

Ryan91 New commenter

Creative writing or Drama

3. katykook

katykook Occasional commenter

Book club
    Public speaking/debating - there might be a local school's competition
    Green group - how to make the school more ecologically sound
    School newspaper

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Find a way to do some community service.
    Fundraise for a charity.

5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Ecology/Environmental Club?
    Definitely, Creative Writing
    Book Club for 6th form/Staff
    Literary Magazine (less stress than a newspaper as it could be termly)
    Theatre club

Good luck!

6. literacystars

literacystars New commenter

Creative Writing Club! Use Young Writers (https://www.youngwriters.co.uk/) for competitions etc., the kids love seeing themselves published (they seem to publish everything sent in!).