1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extra curricular activities

Discussion in 'Primary' started by laurajayneboylan, Nov 13, 2017.

1. laurajayneboylan

laurajayneboylan New commenter

My Head has asked me to think of a reward scheme for children who attend after school clubs to try and encourage attendance.

I was thinking of having an art, music, computing, performing arts etc. Award badge and for every club they attend they win a badge?

I was wondering if anyone else does anything similar and would be able to share some suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

2. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Isn't it the hope that attending the club to learn a new skill is reward enough?

I also wonder whether it's less their choice than their parents deciding for them - so many of our children dash off to Brownies, swimming, or other clubs after school - so uptake might be restricted anyway, no matter what incentives you offer. Depends on your school, of course.

Kids who come to my music club have the reward of performing at concerts, and going round the old folks' homes at Christmas, where they are showered with way too much chocolate! Other than that, it's just for fun, and I'm not too strict about attendance - they come if they want. I also let them have a lot of say about the musical numbers we do. My other clubs (all arts based) do generate small items the children can take home, but they come because they want to learn a skill, not for the stuff they make. It's all quite fun and informal.

I guess you could use stickers or stamps for attendance on a card and a small prize at the end of the term or year to those who attend regularly - I remember I used to be given a sticker each week I went to Sunday School, and received a religious-theme story book at the annual Prize-Giving! That wasn't why I went, of course - it was my parents' choice and when you're young you just go along with it. It does mean I'm very good at Bible questions in quizzes...

3. circuskevin

circuskevin Occasional commenter

I guess you just need people like @Grandsire to run your clubs.

Just get them all to read his post.

Kevin

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ours get a badge at the end of term for clubs they have attended more or less every week, shown a great interest in and maybe given up some of their own time towards something to do with it. (As in just turning up and being a p rat won't be enough.)
    They they wear their badge on their uniform for the rest of the year, or until they lose it.

A previous school did similar but with certificates.

alexanderosman and asnac like this.
  5. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

My kids could only do after school clubs if I was able to collect them. Having 3 kids this did not always work out as going back to the school after collecting one of them at normal time was difficult as it was a village school.

6. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

I don't think that any child would go to a boring after school club just to get a badge. It's what the children do there that gets them attending regularly. Perhaps ask the children what after school clubs they would like?
    Maybe the badges should be for the parents who have to remember to remind about kit/variable pick up times/which child is doing what this Thursday etc.