1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extinction Rebellion terrorism

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Aquamarina1234, Jun 1, 2019.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

How so?

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I've thought on this overnight.

I've thought about the way it has been discussed on here over the last 5+ years. I've thought about the way it is still being discussed here.

You're absolutely right. It's only really in the last two years that I've realised myself what a mess we are in. The projections have repeatedly been underestimates, they keep getting worse and the change keeps getting faster.

sodalime likes this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Try not to make yourself ill over it. There's very little individuals can do now, and the momentum of existing warming will make even a global response ineffectual for centuries.

That's not to say we shouldn't be trying but individual citizens tend to focus on more immediate personal and familial issues, not global matters they can't prevent. Recycling a few pop bottles and reducing their annual flight from one return to zero is probably not going to do it.

Actually, I can see flights increasing from this country. A major effect of warming here is increased rainfall, as we've seen. No one wants to spend their holiday in that.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That's a terrible approach to take.

So China is pumping out 10.8 million tonnes a year, twice as much as the next country [USA] and a 5 fold increase over the last 3 years where the USA has remained the same and the EU has reduced... but we've got to do more because 'history'...

China is producing 29% of all CO2. Far outpacing the USA at it's worst. They need to get their act together.

border_walker, nomad and lexus300 like this.
  5. Scintillant

Well, that isn't and approach, it's a question. I didn't say we have to do more. I said the Paris agreement etc is to get everyone to do their bit.

Do you think we should be doing less than poorer nations?

Per capita emissions are important. China will obviously produce more than America as it has a billion plus people. An America produces much more than a Chinese person though.

sodalime likes this.
  6. Scintillant

Have a look at the Paris Agreement

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Have done, just wondered if you had when you make such statements as you do.

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Climate change has been happening since the world first formed, it will continue to change more or less with complete disregard to what we do with CO2 output.

nomad likes this.
  9. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

Show me where the evidence is that the population is REDUCING not that the growth rate is reducing - not the same thing - humans are the main cause of different types of pollution and our numbers are still increasing. Typical estimate is that it will increase by a further 50% before it peaks - from a simplistic viewpoint that is a 50% increase in pollution, assuming that a typical person pollution remains the same. But if living standards increase further, as they typically have done, this will be greater : so for example a greater decrease in the number of extinct species, greater amount of plastic pollution, greater reduction in available natural resources that we have come to depend on etc.

lexus300 likes this.
  10. Scintillant

I have never once said population is reducing. Never. Ever.

Growth rate has been reducing for well over 50 years and is now below replacement level in many parts of the world. Typical estimates are a peak around 10-11 million and then it will start to decrease.

The impact of a 50% increase on emissions depends where the increase is. It will be mainly in Africa where individuals have low carbon footprints. So it does not equate to 50% of "average" people.

Our living standards have increased, our population is waaaaay bigger than the end of the 19th century, and yet our emissions are at their lowest for well over 100 years.

What do you want to see happen that is not happening?

11. border_walker

How do you define "our emissions" ? As I understand it we have simply exported many of them by buying goods from China etc, or exporting our waste like plastics. The UK can't support the population it has from its own resources, i.e. its population is too large. I don't believe that our record is anything to crow about.

lexus300 likes this.
  12. Scintillant

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-why-the-uks-co2-emissions-have-fallen-38-since-1990

UK emissions have declined from around 600m tonnes of CO2 (MtCO2) in 1990 to 367MtCO2 in 2017. If underlying factors driving emissions had not changed, Carbon Brief’s analysis shows that a growing population and a constant electricity generation mix would have led to emissions increasing by around 25% compared to 1990 levels.

Instead, emissions actually fell by 38% to 367MtCO2, as shown in the black area in the figure below. Each coloured wedge in the figure shows one factor contributing to this decline.

As the chart shows, no single factor was responsible for more than around a third of the total reduction in the UK’s CO2. Overall, emissions in 2017 were 51% lower than they would have been without these changes.

The biggest driver has been the shift to renewables
    vfdv.jpg

Attached Files:

13. border_walker

You have ignored what I said - you often ignore things please explain how the product we import and the waste we export do not contribute to our total footprint. PS there is more to the environmental impact of our species than just CO2, again the whole impact needs to be considered.

14. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Unfortunately there are quite a few who know exactly what we are in for and just how serious and unpleasant things will get, but they don't care as they know they won't have to experience it themselves. This has to be the dictionary definition of 'short-sighted' and 'selfish', especially when you consider that some of those people are powerful and influential.
    Of course they do. Boycott their products where possible. They will get the message when sales take a hit. But meanwhile, we (in this country at least) need to talk, all of us, we need to keep sharing ideas and swapping tips. We just need to change our mind set and start thinking about things differently. It's easy. Think about how quickly Beatlemania spread in the 60s/70s . . .its entirely possible that we all start to make positive changes and that those spread like wild fire through the population like a good virus.

15. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Yip. And that's because the broadcasting of realistic projections will only create wide scale panic and social unrest like something we have NEVER witnessed/experienced before (apart from on many of those post apocalyptic type films and tv shows we mostly all love to watch).

16. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

'Million'? :confused:

border_walker likes this.
  17. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Frank, it's obviously a typo - he meant BILLION

18. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Still far too high, IMHO....

19. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

Yes and almost every heroin addict started on breast milk.

20. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

It's currently 7.2 billion. And that is already far too many on our current lifestyle trajectories.
    We need serious changes in order to survive as a species.

chart1.JPG

11 Billion is really quite a modest projection.
    But it's half as much again within 70 years!!

FrankWolley and border_walker like this.