1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extinction Rebellion terrorism

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Aquamarina1234, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The trouble is, over that 50-year period, more people than ever are living way past their three score years and ten.

border_walker and sodalime like this.
  2. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

If I see out my life expectancy we will, in my lifetime, see the first forced displacements* (via war or massacre if necessary) of poor people from land which remains habitable in order to house the wealthy whose land has become inhabitable whether by fire or flood. These land grabs may be within national borders or they may be the annexation of foreign land - most likely both.

* ETA Probably not the first at all. But on a far larger scale than we see at present.

sodalime likes this.
  3. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Complain and protest loudly on community local, area wide, country wide and national platforms.
    Vote Green
    Get involved in and support more green initiatives (carbon capture etc)
    Fly less
    Consume less plastics
    Walk more/cycle more
    Keep bees
    Don't kill insects for just being an inconvenience
    Plant more trees and pollen rich plants when and where you can
    Don't use chemicals in your garden
    If you have a garden, let part of it go wild
    Create more roof top gardens/balcony gardens/school gardens/office block gardens
    Eat less meat
    Grow your own veg or join community allotments/gardens
    If you live in a flat, have window boxes and grow nectar rich plants e.g chives - good for the kitchen and the bees go mad for the flowers
    Demand more sustainable housing developments by using existing pressure groups and the power of boycotting
    Protest against the development of greenbelt and insist on re-use of brownfield sites where possible

I could go on and on - each things is small thing on its own - but when we all start to do more, to increase awareness etc. then before you know it a very strong direction has been taken by some, that engulfs, and sucks with it, the uncertain/undecided.

It may be too late, Lan, but it's worth it. We have nothing much to lose by trying, and everything to lose by not bothering.
    Sometimes just keeping an open mind is enough.

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

A slowing of the growth rate is not the same thing as a decline in the birth rate.

border_walker likes this.
  5. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I would add refuse to support any football teams which play in matches which unnecessary involve flights or long drives.

EUFA Europa League final between Chelsea and Arsenal, some 40 minutes apart by public transport was played at the Olympic Stadium in Baku, Azerbaijan on 29 May 2019.

EUFA Champions League final between Spurs and Liverpool, some two hours apart by public transport was played at the Wanda Metropolitano, Madrid, Spain on 1June 2019.

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

This brings us back to whether the increase in life expectancy we've been experiencing has reached its peak and might soon decline as the effects of the poorer diets and gluttony over the last fifty years take their toll.

I've mentioned this before, but for the sake of this thread, I'll say it again. When I started working for the NHS in the early 70s, most of the medical physics deptartment's R&D efforts were spent on projects associated with the two biggest killers. Cancer and heart disease. Most medical research was back then.

People still get these diseases of course, but medical science became a lot better at finding cures and patching people up. The growth of computing accelerated this exponentially, such that people who would probably have died around 70 are now living into their 90s.

The poblem is though, that since the 70s diets and lifestyles changed beyond recognition. We see more people than ever who are obese and suffering with diabetes. It's relatively recently that it's been possible to get governments to take any action at all over sugar consumption, which largely appears to be the cause and it's incredibly difficult to get people who have become addicted to sugar to change their habits.

In my job I get to see people in their 60s who suffer the consequences of diabetes and obesity, but haven't made the link between their condition and their diet. Or they can't change their habits. They won't make old bones. I predict that longevity will rapidly decline in the next ten to twenty years. All the efforts spent on trying to get a grip on the causes of dementia, won't have been wasted, but fewer people will live long enough to be diagnosed with dementia. I am already helping those whose obese 40-year old offspring are dying from the consequences of their diet, cope with their distress.

Last week one of my residents tearfully showed me the booklet produced for the funeral of her daughter. It had a photo of her on the cover. A lovely woman by all accounts, always ready to help the less fortunate and always able to bring a smile to those in her company. It seems unkind to describe her as fat as a bagful of fat things, but unless I do, the message might not come across as clearly as I'm hoping.

Her death certificate records her dying from a heart attack, but that only tells part of the story. What I began this post with, relating to people living longer due to finding better ways to help people with heart disease only relates to those who managed to survive childhood before the NHS and WW2. There isn't very much that can be done at the moment to make people with obesity, diabetes and heart disease recover from a heart attack.

Bring this post back to the original context of this thread, clinicians have been warning governments about the time bomb of poor diets for just as long as climate scientists have been warning governments about the time bomb of poluting the environment.

It ought to be simple enough to take action to prevent people from poluting their bodies and poluting the planet, but there's too much money being made out of both for political parties who wish to remain in power, to risk offending their sponsors.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    border_walker, lexus300 and sodalime like this.
  8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

More poor people living on not much money with small carbon footprints are not the problem. It is people with high carbon footprints. Population is a hackneyed argument usually used to deflect the problem onto those that haven't caused it and can do the least to address it by those that have caused it and can do the most to address it.

cissy3, sodalime and nizebaby like this.
  9. Scintillant

For the hundredth time, that is happening. I have shown you the evidence several times. Education and development are driving it.

10. Scintillant

11. Scintillant

cissy3 and sodalime like this.
  12. Scintillant

We reduce carbon footprints rapidly. A transferable carbon allowance for flights is being mooted, flyings needs to be heavily taxed and a rapid switch away from all fossil fuels is absolutely necessary. Investment in carbon capture technology is perhaps not so promising at present. Press for systemic change through your vote and protesting, do what you can personally and talk to people about it.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    sodalime likes this.
  13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Do we not already have thus? Is anyone fleeing from Europe or North America to somewhere else?

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Off with their heads!

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I have heard this before. Next is kidnapping industrialists, bombing factories, shooting farmers and blowing up planes because illegal direct action is needed.

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

But the 'we' has to be global and includes those whose conditions are improving rapidly.

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

No. Their intended deeds matter and should be loudly criticised when necessary.
    No party should get a free pass.

CheeseMongler and sodalime like this.
  18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

And accept that some green leaning group might decide that you shouldn't fly at all if you planned to go on a specific date.

sodalime likes this.
  19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

They remind me of an article I read in the Observer a while ago.
    Extracted from the Observer 13/1/16:

"The result? Our daily nightmare. A world in which not only are truth, vulnerability and nuance completely lost—but the incompetent and the conniving in our midst are able to capture immense amounts of attention. Where not only is shamelessness the ultimate defense against any form of accountability, but where all the normal, qualified and well-adjusted people have walked away in disgust."

20. Scintillant

It does, but If it doesn't include "us" given that we have caused the problem, why should those who haven't caused the problem bother?

The point of the Paris Agreement etc is to get everyone to do their bit.

racroesus and sodalime like this.