1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extinction Rebellion terrorism

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Aquamarina1234, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I know this is only a teachers internet forum but a little more nuance and sophistication is needed at times.

Birth rates virtually around the globe have been declining for 50 years. In many places now they are below replacement level.

Population will stabilise in the not too distant future and then start to decline.

If you want to help, reduce your carbon footprint as much as you can and spread the message. Stop trying to shift the blame onto the poor of the world. They have enough to contend with, although life for a great many of them is improving quickly too.

sodalime likes this.
  2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It really won't.

And even if you think it will be, not addressing things in the meantime is not a good idea.

sodalime likes this.
  3. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Thing is Scint, we don't have time to wait for the tipping point.

4. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I wonder if the drones can be shot down.

5. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

I meant the population growth tipping point.

6. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

But population control and eventual reduction has to be part of this solution. You can't keep saying that we must change things, whilst saying that world population will take car of itself, it is still predicted to rise, possibly to nearly double what it is now.
    Not sure why you think I am blaming the poor.

sodalime likes this.
  7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Relax. The slow down in the birth rate means the world population will only increase by 50% in the next 80 years. :eek:

lanokia and sodalime like this.
  8. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

See, that's exactly the kinda sheet that keeps me up at night.
    Anyway, on the bright side, 80 years is an overestimate - we won't have to suffer the painful and agonising decline of all that we know and love for that long.
    No pollinators, no food.
    50 years max.

cissy3 and lanokia like this.
  9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The large majority of people do 'get it' but don't like being patronised.

Climate change activists should protest, legally, by all means. But with an emphasis on the word "legally".

bevdex and Laphroig like this.
  10. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Nomad, I don't think they do :(

cissy3 likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

sodalime likes this.
  12. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

That's a response aimed at silencing protests.

As is often the case legal protests have not worked. Too many people have their heads in the sand.

Protesters are extremists. The young ones are snowflakes, are manipluated. You do 'get it' but don't like being patronised. Keep saying it. Keep saying it loud enough and you won't hear the warnings from climate scientists. Then you can continue as normal, and better still, claim the moral high ground because you're not doing anything 'illegal'.

Legal is sometimes morally wrong. Illegal is sometimes the right thing to do.

cissy3 and sodalime like this.
  13. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

In eleven years there'll be nowhere to fly to and no one to fly the planes.

Do you want an holiday or do you want your grandchild to have a holiday?

sodalime likes this.
  14. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

And of the 87% who do accept that AGW exists, is actually a real thing, how many of those people have more of a clue about it beyond the newspaper headlines? And how many of those are willing to make changes to their behaviours?

15. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

'Legal is sometimes morally wrong. Illegal is sometimes the right thing to do'.
    Not this time.

16. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Why 11 years precisely?
    ETA: genuine question, Jude.

17. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Oh and btw, I can't be arrised getting into an 'evidence' based p1sSin.g contest this late into a debate that had been going on for decades.

18. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Seven then!

Personally the end can't come too quickly. The sooner the better. The deep trench sea life ain't getting any better.

sodalime likes this.
  19. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

:D You are awful, but I like it.

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

What do you want them to do?

For sure, green electricity, electric cars, recycling... all very nice.

What about a carbon tax on families? Or banning under-18s and parents from foreign travel by plane? Or do we go the whole hog and actually dictate who can and cannot have children? ~ not saying I want to do these things but it seems the actions taken so far aren't sufficient for some, guessing you are one of them.

border_walker and sodalime like this.