1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extinction Rebellion terrorism

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Aquamarina1234, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Shutting Heathrow for ten days with drones? Is that supposed to engender respect and support? It's terrorism, plain and simple. As far as I'm concerned the Police can open fire on them, selfish, reckless, spiteful, entitled thugs.

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Since all the posts I made later have passed through premoderation, might this be Too Contentious An Issue?
    Given that this insane plot could actually cause deaths (and let's not even think about missed holidays, weddings, honeymoons, disappointment and chaos), I think not.

3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I agree it’s terrorism and they shouldn’t be allowed to disrupt the country like this.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

There is no point in beating about the bush. The Extinction Rebellion eco “protesters”, who are reportedly planning to shut down Heathrow airport for a day in mid-June and then for another 10 days in July, if their ludicrous demands aren’t met, are threatening what amounts to economic terrorism. They plan to fly drones above the airport if Heathrow’s third runway project is not scrapped. It is blackmail, pure and simple: if the result is that planes are grounded, as at Gatwick last year, thousands of people will have their holidays ruined and the economic cost will run into the millions; if they are not, their crime could become mass murder.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...w-breaking-environmental-fanatics-extinction/

Absolutely!

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Of course it’s terrorism. Fuelled by idiots such as Emma Thompson, who must be the biggest hypocrite on the planet.

xmal, nizebaby, Jesmond12 and 2 others like this.
  6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Chances are the third runway will be scrapped before long anyway, especially if the government changes.

I believe the maximum sentence for drone disruption to an airport is currently 5 years - I doubt if there'll be much leniency from judges if Heathrow's messed up.

Does make you wonder if the recent Gatwick incident was a dry run.

Aquamarina1234 and nomad like this.
  7. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

The alarm being generated indicates clearly how effective such tactics are likely to be. Expect the state to strike back hard. I'm already amazed that drones are so easy to buy on the open market, apparently with no restrictions - expect that to change.

border_walker and nomad like this.
  8. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I thought the military had "jammers" now. By advertising what they intend to do surely the jammers will be put in place? Or is it a ruse and they will fly drones somewhere else in the hope that the jammers will be at Heathrow? Cunning blighters these eco-terroristas.

9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It's just to get you talking about it

Which you are.

And that's a good thing.

Climate change needs addressing very quickly just to lessen the amount of damaging things that will happen.

hplovegame48 and sodalime like this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Biggest action someone can take to increase their carbon footprint is having children.

I look forward to Extinction Rebellion targeting maternity wards, nurseries and schools.

11. Scintillant

No need.

Birth rate is already below replacement level here and in most of Europe

Reducing carbon emissions is the only thing that will help in our current predicament

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

For the Righteous the end always justifies the means.

artboyusa and Scintillant like this.
  13. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

And yet the population is still rising and predicted to continue.
    Birth Rates - 2018
    · Growth Rate 0.51 Percent
    · Natural Growth 0.26 Percent
    · Births Per 1000 12.03 Per 1,000
    · Net Migrants per 1000 2.50 Per 1,000
    None of the figures look negative yet.

14. Scintillant

Do you still not understand how both things are possible?

Really?

People do not die as soon as they are born.

sodalime likes this.
  15. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Exactly - but you keep claiming that the problem of rising population is solved - but it isn't.

lanokia, sodalime and LondonCanary like this.
  16. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

It isn't solved, because the population is still rising (albeit at a slower rate) and there are already far too many of us to sustain in the long term without the need for serious lifestyle, and massive agricultural, changes. Which will never happen, as when the vast majority have their head buried under 2' of sand, they can't hear anything. Denial.

17. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Climate change will be worse than all of that. Some people still just don't get it - or expect to be dead before the consequences become that extreme.

Climate change will cause many more deaths. Some people still just don't get it.

The terrorists, the selfish, reckless, spiteful, entitled thugs, are those destroying the planet and trying to prevent action being taken to prevent that.

Some people still just don't get it.

18. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Scintillant likes this.
  19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I suspect the eventual solution to global warming will not be protest, but the modern equivalent of Spanish Flu or Bubonic Plague - then the protestors will have to worry about a different and far more indiscriminate source of extinction.

Do they seriously think this planet has survived so long without an immune system?

sodalime likes this.
  20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter