1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extinction Rebellion... Again!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Feb 17, 2020.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

That'll help.

towncryer, JL48, Bentley89 and 3 others like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

They were teamed up with Antifa at the weekend.

Lovely bunch of folk

/s

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The protest is apparently over building a logistics centre at Felixstowe Docks (owned by the college). Given that there is no prospect of electric articulated lorries in the foreseeable future, it seems a bit futile - and at least the facility is for stuff arriving and leaving by sea rather than air.

agathamorse and border_walker like this.
  5. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Climate change ideology in all its glory.

I am reminded of the final television episode of Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy aired in 1981: The ship's inhabitants are from Golgafrincham; they are unskilled workers in apparently pointless jobs, the people that the clever Golgafrinchams, the thinkers and the doers, back home wanted to get rid of. They land back on prehistoric earth - with the realisation that it's the Golgafrinchams that will evolve into the human race.

WB and alex_teccy like this.
  6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I see the climate change deniers and lukewarmers are straight out of the traps

Lol.

I have no problem with it whatsoever.

JL48 likes this.
  7. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

Those clever Golgafrinchams were subsequently wiped out, of course. By a virus spread on unsanitised telephone handsets. (All the “pointless” telephone sanitisers having been evacuated to Earth) :);)

WB and alex_teccy like this.
  8. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

You have no problem with criminal damage? That would probably correlate with some of you other strange ideas.

towncryer, xmal, WB and 4 others like this.
  9. Scintillant

I don't want to change the law on criminal damage. I expect people to be held to account for their actions in accordance with the law.

However, I don't blame these people for trying to do something while the likes of you are trying to stop anyone doing anything to preserve a future for our younger people.

JL48 likes this.
  10. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

[​IMG]

11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

When you worship at the alter of AGW pseudo-science your only problem is 'data fit'.

Kandahar likes this.
  12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

'Panic monger mode' and this early in the discussion!:rolleyes:

agathamorse likes this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Lock the cretins up. Give them something of a criminal record. The idiots need to be stopped.

14. Scintillant

I bet that's you

At the weekend.

JL48 likes this.
  15. Scintillant

Exxon's scientists agree with the "mainstream" climate scientists. Their scientists predicted exactly the same warming.

Deal with that.

JL48 and Morninglover like this.
  16. florian gassmann

Well, digging up the grass at Trinity seems to have been pointless anyway, since it has just been announced that the public inquiry inspector has rejected proposals for the logistics hub.

Kirton and Trimley Community Action Group (KATCAG), which has been fighting the proposals, said of the inspector's rejection: "This demonstrates that constructive, collective and sustained action can reap results". ... The group said its representatives at the Local Plan public inquiry had made a "terrific case" on behalf of local residents.​

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/...felixstowe-port-development-success-1-6518291

I think the Community Action Group have done better than the lawn destroyers. I wonder at what point the activities of Extinction Rebellion end up repelling more people than they attract, especially as ruining an attractive feature of Cambridge city centre was done too late to influence the result of the public inquiry and was thus pointless.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

There is NO evidence to suggest that; which you have yet produced. Magazine articles are not evidence IMO.
    Perhaps the courts will publish one day, in the mean time can we discuss facts not speculations on guilt????

18. florian gassmann

agathamorse likes this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

If these were Brexiteers* you can bet they'd have been arrested.

No idea why these vandals are tolerated.

* Not that they would.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I was looking up the punishments for the last acts of the extinction group. It seems the punishments do not fit crimes and often the crimes selected to prosecute are minor ones like obstruction the police
    Personally I am turning away from such idiots, but I assume that won't worry them. We have judges and Juries saying they are guilty, with sorrow they have to be prosecuted.
    Basically they can almost do as they please and think and 'I am sorry to inconvenience you' wins then forgiveness.

agathamorse likes this.