1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

External tutor Judgement

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by mum2-3, May 1, 2020.

1. mum2-3

mum2-3 New commenter

Hi All,
    Could I ask a question on external tutors' judgments for an A level student? Should it be taken into account? One of our student struggles with mental wellbeing, anxiety, and health issues, which resulted in the student not being physically able to attend school. Hence had personal tutors (Teachers from another school) funded from parents. Results in school are A, B, C but external tutor results are A*, A, A. Should the teachers take this into consideration? Is there government advice on this? Thanks in advance.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If the student has not been in school for a while, it would seem sensible for her teachers at least to be put in touch with the private tutors, so they can take her progress with them into consideration. If those tutors are teaching in another school, they should have reasonably reliable judgement about standards.

3. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

The guidance we received from (international) exam boards says teachers should not take into account work done which cannot be authenticate and says that parents, or tutors not known to staff, cannot authenticate the work.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I agree that there has to be a great deal of caution when it comes to parents or "unknown" tutors saying "I think they should get an A". But with a proper conversation, surely something ought to be possible. This case is a bit different to one where a child has been having some tutoring alongside school - it sounds as if they haven't been in school for a while, and so the school aren't actually in a position to know how they are doing.

If they have university offers, the other thing to do might be to contact the universities. I think universities have been asked to look at home-educated applicants (who have no school-estimated grades) on a case-by-case basis, and it's possible they might agree to something similar for this student.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I would be very surprised if this were allowed. Rich parents paying a tame tutor to boost their child's grade! I know that most tutors wouldn't do this, but it would be open to abuse. I reckon that I have a better idea of a child's grade than their school does, as I have had more one to one time with them, but I really doubt if I can influence the school. Willing to try though, if I am asked.

6. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

No no no. The tutor's grades are way out of line with the school's. What about the Gcse grades? Do they suggest A*AA? (I am also wondering if the poster is the parent.)

7. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Can the tutor send the work that the student has done with them to you, to allow you to moderate their marking? It may be that it isn't actaully A grade at all, then that's an end to the issue...

8. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Part of the issue here is that we're not just predicting grades for students, we're ranking them.

So giving one what might be too generous a grade could well have a negative impact on those ranked below. Teachers have to ensure they're being as fair and honest as possible.