1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

External Advertisement of Internal Vacancy

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by sjmteddy1, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Without wishing to give too many details away, I have seen a teaching post advertised on a Scottish Council's website that I am very interested in applying for. However, the advert states that only internal applicants will be accepted, and I currently teach for an LEA in England. I have been told that the authority in question currently has a freeze on recruitment and that there is no way an external application would even be considered, and yet this (and other) vacancies are being advertised.
    Firstly I am a bit confused about how this recruitment freeze is supposed to work when the authority clearly has vacancies that require filling. Is this simply a case of rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic or is there some detail I've missed?
    Secondly I'm a bit unclear over the precise niceties of putting out adverts for internal vacancies. Is this likely to have been an oversight or is the authority deliberately gauging interest? Is it even legal to place an advert like this or could I claim that I've been discriminated against?
    I'm really hoping to be considered for this post, as my husband and I are looking to relocate. He has already found a work vacancy (he's not a teacher) and is looking good for at least getting an interview. Any help or advice would be most welcome.
    Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. misspent

misspent New commenter

I might be wrong but does it not mean internal to the authority. We have unemployed Teachers that are needing posts so it seems fair to me to employ those within the region first.

3. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

If it's myjobscotland it usually means internal to the authority. However there are unemployed teachers all over Scotland. Why should the chance of a job depend on where you live or where you did your probation? I'm sure this is some kind of -ism - locationism perhaps - and against European legislation. Discrimination on the grounds of habitation? What about people who have worked away from home and want or need to move back?