1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extension of temporary reduction in hours while off sick?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by LittleMissScience, Jul 16, 2017.

1. LittleMissScience

LittleMissScience New commenter

I have worked full time in an education department of a secure children's home run by a local council, this is my 3rd year. I went off sick in late May due to back and leg pain and am due to have an operation on my back in mid-August and cannot return to my teaching role till mid-November. In March/April I temporarily went down to 4 days a week so I could help a family member who was going through a rough time and the temporary contract was due to finish 31st July but today I have got a letter saying that they are extending it to the end of October, with no explanation. I have not asked or agreed to this.

Part of me thinks this is a mistake as I have offered to continue with my light admin duties 2/3 days a week from October (after a 6 week recovery period), which I offered to do and have been doing for the past few weeks till the end of term. I think there is a chance they misunderstood my heads inquiries about if I could continue with this after the surgery. But, if it is not a mistake does anyone know if they have a legal right to do this - my mum says that some contracts have a clause about not increasing hours while off sick, but I have looked at my contract and the burgundy book and cannot find anything like it.

Thanks