1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extending the more-able in Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by giraffe77, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Anyone? Plleeeaassse

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

When I observe in year 1 and make suggestions about challenge for the more able it is generally to do with trying to get the teachers to see they need to get these children to a level 2 by the end of the year. This then makes it easier for the year 2 teachers to get the children to a level 3, as required from targets, etc.

If you look at the NC requirements for level 2, it should give you a good idea of where you should pitch the work for the MA.

3. Thank you. My higher ability group are mostly 2C / 2B already, so their progress has been massive already this year. This is why I'm mostly happy with the level of challenge I'm setting. I know where they need to go next, and am doing it on most occasions, but observers don't seem happy with this. Think I'm going to have to throw the progress figures at them next time to illustrate how much progress they've made with the current level of challenge...loads! :)
    I'm not sure if they will make more progress if I change the way I 'challenge' them, but wonder what others do (particularly in observed lessons) to demonstrate it effectively.
    Thanks again

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL in that case ignore the advice and just carry on as before!

I suppose show on your plans clearly the level 2b/2a objectives and criteria and then they can't say that isn't challenging for year 1.

5. So frustrating (the 2C/Bs are reading, 1 is 2B in maths already and they are all 1A in writing), but they're just not seeing the challenge in lessons - possibly because they don't have experience in Year 1. Hadn't thought about putting the level 2 objectives on planning (duh!), so will try that. Thanks.