1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extending reading and maths for gifted children in years 5/6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TheGazMan, Aug 15, 2011.

1. TheGazMan

TheGazMan New commenter

Hi everyone,
    Just looking for advice from any year 5/6 teachers as to how they extend children who are currently working at a high level in both reading and maths - seperately.
    I am a year 5/6 mixed class teacher and have just been given the role of giften and talented co-ordinator for next year. Basically we have quite a few children working at level 5 early on in year 5 within reading and have children going in to year 6 who are already working at the high end of level 5 in maths. My task is to find and introduce provision particularly for these areas.
    How do people out there approach this issue of reading? Clearly they can all read and infer well - but alot of ours stagnate once they achieve a 5C.
    Also with the maths, if we have children already working at 5B/5A going into year 6 - what provision do people have in place for this? Are there Level 6 teaching resources available? I'm aware of the level 6 tests which I'd like to be the end point for these children next year.
    I've a very diverse class from children working at level 2 right the way through to the types of children mentioned above. I'm sure many of you also are in similar situations so looking forward to learning a few things!
    Thanks in advance!