1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extending NQT - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by galerider123, Dec 15, 2017.

1. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

Justine Greening is "launching a consultation on strengthening qualified teacher status and improving career progression for teachers".
    https://www.theguardian.com/teacher...we-looking-at-making-teaching-a-career-option
    "We are looking at how we can strengthen support and development for new teachers in the key early years of their career, including guidance from experienced staff who know what it’s like to be starting out. To enable this, the consultation proposes potentially lengthening the newly qualified teacher period. This could give new teachers time and support to hone their skills and develop their teaching style."
    What do you think?

2. WJClarkson

WJClarkson Occasional commenter

It's a way to keep teachers in the classroom for an extra year. Currently, many people do their induction just so they know they can return in the future if things get better. Extending induction by an extra year means that people will work for two years instead of one to fully qualify.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

If a teacher has not got a grip on the job after three teaching practices and a full year as an NQT with an 80% teaching load with full support, then stacking shelves in Tesco should be considered.

4. nervousned

nervousned Occasional commenter

On the other hand you may get some giving up earlier because they can't see themselves making two years and no longer have reason to make it to the end of the year.

rachel_g41, galerider123 and nomad like this.
  5. dleaf12

dleaf12 Occasional commenter

And of course these "experienced teachers" who will be doing all that extra support just have loads of free time to make that really useful, don't they?! :mad:

How about Justine and the rest of the apparatchniks just butt out and let teachers TEACH?

6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

Yes Prime Minister (ask your parents about this programme, God I'm old) introduced the concept of the Politician's Syllogism.
    "Something must be done."
    "This is Something"
    "Therefore we must do it"

7. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

Make the job more attractive to do by removing red tape and giving power back to school's and not criticising all the time in the press. This may mean parents get an ounce of respect for teachers which may mean people actually want to do the job and better people will be attracted to it so there won't be as many struggling to pass the NQT year.

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  8. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

W J Clarkson, I think you are absolutely right. This is no more than a desperate and cynical attempt to keep the cheapest and most subservient (by far SLT's most desirable qualities) in the classroom for an extra year.
    How on earth, prior to this NQT year nonsense, did all those thousands of teachers that were given fully qualified teaching status immediately after their PGCE ever manage?

Shedman and tonymars like this.
  9. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Established commenter

I suppose by that argument we would have less qualified teachers although the lion’s share of the money spent on training would have been spent by then. I would assume even more opportunity to force out younger colleagues on capability then.
    The DFE still tinkering around the edges, it’s about time they acted on all those studies about workload and deal with that first.

tonymars likes this.
  10. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

Dot you think that it would put some people off even considering teaching?

11. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

Which powers are you thinking of giving back to schools? Most schools have already got all the powers they need to screw the very last drop out of teachers. I'd rather have over-interference in terms of pay and better working conditions. The only power schools seem to be lacking is "The Power to Sack Pregnant Staff".

Idiomas11 and SomethingWicked like this.
  12. slstrong123

slstrong123 New commenter

What's the point? Schools don't have to employ teachers with QTS anyway, those without QTS can be paid less.

tonymars and JohnJCazorla like this.
  13. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

Arrogance.

Perhaps this is part of a bigger plan: to make QTS even more undesirable. Cheaper, unqualified staff, easy to get rid of, following prescriptive lessons - that is the future.

Shedman likes this.
  14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I wonder if this is because so many new teachers haven't done a PGCE or a B Ed, with a proper mix of teaching practices & theory? Instead, they've been 'trained' on the job, with the limited support of an exhausted mentor and limited experience of a range of schools & teaching styles.

They're not well enough trained, so take longer to get to be good enough.

Ex-teacher, Shedman, wanet and 2 others like this.
  15. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Lead commenter

If prospective teachers were to see all that is written on these pages, it would surely be enough to turn them to other employment. I'm lucky as I'm retired and can tell you that things were NEVER so bad when I was a teacher. I could not have endured it, had things been as they are today.

16. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

In most cases anything more than a year should be unnecessary. I do think, however, that there should be more flexibilty for extension in some circumstances, for example NQTs who have completed two terms and then had to change schools, especially if they also had to do supply in the interim.

17. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

Maybe power is the wrong choice of words. I feel that there are so many hoops to jump through to do what is right that the job has become so bureaucratic. The image in the press and public is also poor and parents have little respect - they know that if they don't like something they threaten complaining to OFSTED and it takes a lot of courage of convictions to stand up to that. This means the good quality people are not coming into the profession. I've been involved in mentoring of trainees and NQTs throughout my career and there are still some fantastic ones but some who wouldn't have got a place on teacher training courses 10 years ago.

18. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

In the interests of fairness, there are some issues with the current system. As David says, there’s this ambiguous 'QTS' which we all got and now doesn’t count unless you complete your NQT year within five years. Either we can teach or we can’t. Should it be straight after the PGCE year or should it be after one year or two.

Secondly, the NQT year is an inconsistent experience for our cohorts. Some get great support and training, others are burnt out and held to ransom by unscrupulous headteachers who unfairly use things like lesson grading to ruin a perfectly good new teacher who then quits the profession. They are never coming back.

10% reduction in timetable for two years. Good idea.
    Ring fenced CPD for two years. Absolutely.
    External ITT providers assessing the NQT not the school or MAT. It is an abuse of power to do otherwise.

In exchange, a two year NQT period. With the other bits, it probably will help retention.

The main criticism which you all point out is that it isn’t mandatory to have in a state funded school. Well there’s an easy answer there isn’t there? If you can’t see the writing on the wall wake up. There is a lot of support for a return to all teachers holding QTS again. The current model is not working as evidenced by the exodus of new entrants to the profession. A longer term 'all hold an enhanced two year QTS' will definitely be a better model for retention.

We are expecting a rush of unqualified and similarly 'graduate' teaching assistants in for next year to get their QTS before it moves to two years. If there are people teaching happily without QTS I would advise the AO route fairly promptly.

19. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

When I was an NQT (over a decade ago) there were several of us starting at once but our NQT "extra" time was often taken up/whittled away by cover (the cover supervisor would always timetable us for cover because we had more none-contact than the other teachers - i..e. NQT 20%!), poor CPD and mandatory pupil shadowing etc. Most NQTs I know may, on paper, be given extra time but in reality this rarely materialises. The fact that we were NQTs was only trotted out when convenient to the school; but conveniently overlooked when push came to shove. We all so easily forget how long it took us the first time we did a set of class reports, the first few weeks of working out SIMs, the anxiety of marking a stack of GCSE assessments for the first time (and how long each one took!); the six hours of lesson planning spent weeping over google because you couldn't find the right resources. Yes, we were all there once.

I taught in the German state system some years ago and they combine the PGCE and NQT into a two-year training process where student teachers are in school straight away for four days out of five; with the fifth day in university. When they are ready, they are assigned their own class/classes. The beauty of this model is that even in the second year (what we would call our NQT year) they still have recourse to a uni day per week with the support of impartial peers/mentors - sounding boards for issues, ideas and problems; as well as being able to study and apply meaningfully academic theory (unlike the fire-hosing of information that I couldn't contextualise on my PGCE!) However, teachers in Germany are still treated with respect and considered professionals; with very little state/Federal central intervention comparative to the UK. Our system looks like a paranoid, Orwellian-nightmare compared to theirs!

20. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Englishtt, I can add to your comments with regard to Germany. When I was teaching over there most expats teaching in the private international schools used to look enviously at the pay and conditions enjoyed by most native Germans in the state system. Bit of a contrast to the UK isn't it!