1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extending children in maths year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lexa, Jan 14, 2012.

1. lexa

lexa New commenter

Does anyone know of any great resources / books / websites which I can use to help me extend the small group of children I have working at level 5a + in my maths group?

We have split our three year 5/6 classes and ability grouped them so that I teach the more able children. I still have a small group working at 3a whom I am targeting. They take up most of my time! The KS2 materials I have (including mathematical challenges for the more able) don't provide any real level of challenge if I set the top group to work independently. They benefit from some of the whole class work; explaining their thinking to others and tackling open ended problems from the N-Rich site but I still feel their needs aren't being fully met.

One of these children is tackling GCSE questions at home and 'loves algebra' according to his parent. This little boy is only year 5 so I worry what he'll be doing next year in school if he's already bored and is pushing ahead (too fast IMO) at home. His dad is anxious that he is challenged and continues to enjoy maths. I don't really feel either of these things are happening for him at the moment.

Your ideas would be appreciated!

2. lexa

lexa New commenter

Does anyone know of any great resources / books / websites which I can use to help me extend the small group of children I have working at level 5a + in my maths group?

We have split our three year 5/6 classes and ability grouped them so that I teach the more able children. I still have a small group working at 3a whom I am targeting. They take up most of my time! The KS2 materials I have (including mathematical challenges for the more able) don't provide any real level of challenge if I set the top group to work independently. They benefit from some of the whole class work; explaining their thinking to others and tackling open ended problems from the N-Rich site but I still feel their needs aren't being fully met.

One of these children is tackling GCSE questions at home and 'loves algebra' according to his parent. This little boy is only year 5 so I worry what he'll be doing next year in school if he's already bored and is pushing ahead (too fast IMO) at home. His dad is anxious that he is challenged and continues to enjoy maths. I don't really feel either of these things are happening for him at the moment.

Your ideas would be appreciated!

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

4. lexa

lexa New commenter

Thanks so much! Will work my way through those.

5. google 'nrich' great website with tonnes of free resources for stretching your most able in maths.