1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extended stories - Year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pigginkt, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Hey all

I'm going to be doing extended stories with my Year 2 next week and need some help.

They all find it very difficult to write a short story (not understanding beginning, middle, end, time connectives, making it interesting, putting detail in etc) let alone an extended one. I know it's all in the planning but how can I make sure they write more than 10 lines?

Also, what stories would you recommend to read/analyse during this unit?

Thanks

2. Hey all

I'm going to be doing extended stories with my Year 2 next week and need some help.

They all find it very difficult to write a short story (not understanding beginning, middle, end, time connectives, making it interesting, putting detail in etc) let alone an extended one. I know it's all in the planning but how can I make sure they write more than 10 lines?

Also, what stories would you recommend to read/analyse during this unit?

Thanks

3. teeny8

teeny8 New commenter

We've just done The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl. All the children loved it (including the boys which was a first). We did lots of drama, hot-seating, predicting what would happen in the next part of the story, discussing why events had happened etc, before moving onto writing their own magic finger story.

4. Hi - I'm a prospective GTP-er and I observed in a Yr 2 class doing this last week. Their stories were fab and actually quite long!

Whilst they wrote, there was a great picture of a hill on the IWB so they could imagine their stories as different parts of the hill.

I know I'm not a teacher but I thought this was a really great way of explaining how a story develops, having the peak of the story as the hill top etc.

5. I did this a couple of weeks ago and I did 'Care of Henry' by Anne Fine...although the story itself for an adult is actually quite bland, the chn loved it and not a single child predicted correctly what would happen in the end...theres quite a lot of things you can do with the story. I agree about drama and hotseating. I mixed my lessons up so one day they were doing about a chapter of care of henry, recognising the beginning of the story, middle, end etc and the next they were planning their own story, then back to the book, then writing first chapter and so on. Otherwise they get bored of their work and just want to finish it and rush! I also read to them 'the otter who wanted to know' which they really enjoyed and was good for setting and characters that change throughout a story! sorry ive rambled now!

6. Thanks for the ideas guys! That's the thing with the new primary framework, they don't suggest reading material or anything.. a bit vague!

Teeny8 - We've got some Roald Dahl books at school, I think all children enjoy them! Did you just concentrate on one story for the 2 weeks?

Luciemule - I think the hill idea sounds fab! My clas definitely need something like that to show when certain things shold happen, thanks!

Ems03 - My children tend to rush too, so I think I'll definitely do what you've suggested. We did loads of Jill Tomlinson stories the other week, they loved them!

7. Hi

We have been doing our extended story topic for 3 weeks using James and the Giant peach. It took us about two weeks to read the book and we also watched the film after each bit of the book to help those who might not understand everything. We did so much work for it and i keep thinking of new ideas to do with it. We did normal things like character profiles, cause and effect, predicted what was going to happen, linked with science, changed the story slightly to adapt it, compared it to the film, wrote newspaper report, drama.

It has taken us a week and we are now writing James and the Giant peach 2 what happens next which i have linked in with big writing. We have written a chapter at a time e.g. everyone writes their opening, next day everyone wrote first adventure and so on, this ensured everyone wrote a decent amount. I then made them little books which they are going to write them up in. They then suggested that they wanted to make their own film to so next week we are going to do drama around it and video it. I also linked it with DT and they are making a vehicle for James and the insects and going to be making finger puppets to go with.

Sorry if i have rambled on but i hope this gives you some ideas!

8. by the way, the hill thing suggested before, I used too and found a great ready made template of this either in the resource section here or on primary resources, think they call it a 'story mountain'.

9. teeny8

teeny8 New commenter

Yeah we just focused on The Magic Finger. I did plan to focus on other Roald Dahl books after, but we just haven't had the time this term. I'm going to suggest to the Y3 teacher that perhaps she might like to start with another Roald Dahl story in September.

10. The planning for The Magic Finger as an extended story is on Hamilton. I followed this (tweaking it lots) when teaching this to my Literacy set

11. Apologies as I meant planning for James and the Giant Peach as it links into topic very well. I could do with some inspiration please!

12. I know this post is very old now but, if possible, I would also love a copy of James and the Giant peach planning. (I was hoping to do the Twitts but just found out that my Year 3s, I'm in a mixed Year 2/3 class, did that last year). Thanks very much in advance.