1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extended stories/significant authors Y2 / Unit 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by boubsie, Jun 22, 2011.

1. boubsie

boubsie New commenter

Looking for advice and inspiration please.
    I'm nearing the end of my GTP year and have my all-important, no-pressure, final observation coming up at the end of term.
    I want to teach literacy for this lesson. I have my hands tied a bit by my school's way of working and so will be at the end of Y2 Unit 4 from the Framework (extended stories/significant authors) and I need to link in somehow with the term's topic "Eating and Growing" I have a class top-heavy with boys (18:8) and a class which isn't overflowing with original thinkers.
    Any ideas for suitable authors and/or lesson ideas?

2. beijaflor

beijaflor New commenter

Just off the top of my head I'm thinking James and the Giant Peach - Roal Dahl....significant author I think!
    Perhaps you could begin with some drama.....any chance you can tie in some visual literacy.....is there a film version/animation.
    Good luck!

3. boubsie

boubsie New commenter

Thanks! Certainly ties in with "Eating and Growing! And - indeed - a significant author. Am off now to re-read it.
    By the way, this is the first time I have posted...really good to get a helpful response...makes planning a bit less stressful and lonely. So thanks again, you have cheered me up!

4. To link with healthy eating there's always Oliver's Vegetables - plus there's also Oliver's fruit salad and oliver's milkshake -- easy books with a good message - may be just right for this time in the year when they're tired.