1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extended project in psychology (AQA)

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by Fred50, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Anyone planning on running the extended project in psychology? Thought it may be a good idea to do when the kids come back. Basically just a replacement for the coursework, seems very similar. Maybe a bit more felxibility which is a good thing!

2. Anyone planning on running the extended project in psychology? Thought it may be a good idea to do when the kids come back. Basically just a replacement for the coursework, seems very similar. Maybe a bit more felxibility which is a good thing!

3. yes - am thinking of offering it to a select few - not the ones who can't get their homework in on time or else it will be another nightmare. I will be doing individual research /data collection and hopefully a few good ones may develop it and write it up.

4. I am obviously not up to speed on this. Can someone tell me how this works or provide a link.
    is it internally marked and externally moderated? Is it all coursework? I have a bunch of kids who might perform well in this but dont do so well in an all exam type setting ( language skills , second language issues) .
    Is it additional to psyc or can it replace it?
    Also, is it being sat in June this year? I have a couple of people who have done coursework for A2 but have been totally shot out in exams and am now wondering if we could work up their already very good coursework to let them leave school having achieved something this June? I know that sounds a bad manipulation of the system but when you work with weak kids its often essential to look for something. I know its late for this year but , its never too late until the exam close date passes.

5. I'm currently delivering the extended project as well as psychology and it is with edexcel.I'm guessing it is meant to be of a similar idea but it was stressed at a meeting about the EP that is should be a lengthy well thought out project rather than an extension of a piece of coursework. Students have been completing projects for about 6 months now and are only just finishing. They have produced a substantial amount of work, a lot more than what you would expect from a piece of coursework. Not sure if AQA follows the same principles but worth reading up on!
    You also need to be carfeul on the students that you select as the idea is that they develop their independant learning skills and it can at times be like banging your head against a brick wall!

6. AQA are offering the EPQ (extended project qualification) from this year though it has been extensively piloted. Basically it is a 5000 word report on just about anything the student wants but there has to be a taught element and it is internally assessed. also the student has to do a presentation or a sort of viva which I think is good - the importanat thing is developing research skills and so its not just assessed on the finished project (trying to avoid just internet downloads) Psychology would lend itself quite nicely as they could do an original piece of research here - Ive seen some good pilot ones. Its worth an AS level and is graded A*-E. I am planning to offer it to some of the more motivated who possibly want to continue with psychology at uni and are prepared to do some extra work. I anticipate starting in June after AS and finishing in December /January. Check out AQA website for more details. I think it coul doffer the "stretch and challenge" we are always being asked to provide .