1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extended NQT passed in December - no higher salary grade?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Isambard, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Isambard

Isambard New commenter

Good morning,
    I has an extended induction for attendance/health reasons and I qualified at the end of term 4 (December 2010) instead of term 3 (july 2010).
    I was told in September 2010 that my salary grade would go up when I complete the NQT induction/process. Now that it's done, I can't see any difference in my monthly paycheck.
    I've written twice to the office in charge of managing salaries, with no answers after two weeks...
    Anyone knows what I should do? Do I need to wait until next September to have my grade increased?
    Many thanks for reading.

2. Isambard

Isambard New commenter

Good morning,
    I has an extended induction for attendance/health reasons and I qualified at the end of term 4 (December 2010) instead of term 3 (july 2010).
    I was told in September 2010 that my salary grade would go up when I complete the NQT induction/process. Now that it's done, I can't see any difference in my monthly paycheck.
    I've written twice to the office in charge of managing salaries, with no answers after two weeks...
    Anyone knows what I should do? Do I need to wait until next September to have my grade increased?
    Many thanks for reading.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Well, that was a pack of lies for a start. regardless of your extended NQT induction, your pay should have gone up in September when everyone else's does. You're therefore (if it did not go up - check to make sure) entitled to back pay.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Middlemarch is correct.
    No-one gets a pay hike for passing Induction.
    Pay progression is based on length of service in the previous school year. If you were employed in at least 26 weeks between 1st Sept 2009 and 31st August 2010, you should have moved up the payscale for any LA teaching done from 1st Sept 2010.
    Employed weeks can even be p/t weeks. For contracted teachers, you can include holiday weeks and weeks when on paid sick leave. For daily paid supply teachers, you only count 'weeks' when you were teaching in school.
    Assuming you started as an NQT on M1, you should now be on M2 (as of September 2010)
    M2 in most of England and Wales is £23295
    M2 fRINGE AREA IS £24331
    M2 Outer London is 3 26674
    M2 Inner London is £28408
    Look at the gross monthly pay on your payslips from Sept 2010 and multiply by 12. If it comes to one of the above figures, you are on M2 already.

5. Isambard

Isambard New commenter

Many thanks for your answers.
    I am already at a M2 and was expecting to move to an M3 salary. I work in an academy and they may be able to choose and do what they want?

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There are different terms and conditions at Academies. They are unlikely to offer more than in LA controlled schools but may match standard Teachers' pay and Conditions.
    If you were M1 in the last school year and are M2 now, you are getting what any NQT could expect in terms of pay.
    People who start Induction at the beginning of one school year and who then notice a pay grade increment in the following September, have often wrongly attributed the pay progression to passing Induction when that hurdle generates no extra pay.
    An NQT working a 0.2 contract (one day per week) would take 5 years to complete Induction but would have worked their way up the payscale each school year and would be on at M5 (if they started on M1) in their final Induction year, after only having worked the equivalent of one school year (195 school days).
    Immediately after passing Induction, they'd move to M6 in their 6th school year and would be eligible to apply to pass through Threshold, with a successful application taking them to UPS1 one year after completing Induction.

7. Isambard

Isambard New commenter

Thanks for your answer.

So because it's an Academy, they're free to decide whatever salary I have?

I'll look at their pay and conditions, but it will take me a while to work out whether they're allowed to do that...

8. Isambard

Isambard New commenter

From the staff handbook, I read that the Academy salary scale is following the Teacher Pay and Conditions Document (the blue book). That sounds like a good thing, doesn't it?

9. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Yes, in that case, what others have said should apply - if you were on M2 last year, then you should be on M3 now.
    www.tesfaq.couk/pay

10. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Yes, if you were on M2 in the last school year (up to 31st Aug 2010) you should have moved to M3 as of 1st Sept 2010

12. Isambard

Isambard New commenter

There was a mistake for my January salary and it is going to go up for February, however, I wonder what to do about the back pay (4 months pay).
    I'm trying to get in touch with my trade union to see what they say, but I wonder if it's worth the trouble to start a conflict with my employer over 4 months salary...

13. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's not a conflict, it's your right. Honestly, as a head if I found a teacher had lost four months' additional salary because of a clerical error, I'd be mortified. I certainly wouldn't see the person as a troublemaker, if that's what you're worried about.
    But keep smiling as you gently continue to assert your right to that money. Do not give up and get the union to fight it for you.