1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extended driving test

Discussion in 'Personal' started by marymoocow, Jan 23, 2016.

1. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

My Dad lost his licence due to a health condition. However as this is now resolved they want him to do an extended driving test of 45 mins. The first time he can drive is the test itself. He is nearly 80 so did a very basic driving test as a young man. It sounds as though he will be allotted a driving instructor and time and place for his test. He doesn't even know if it will be in his usual car or a completely strange car. He is struggling to find any information about it. Has anyone done one of these tests or know anyone who has? Thanks.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Whilst I know nothing's about the extended test, can I make 2 points:

1. Maybe its better that your father isn't on the roads(or is only after more lessons)?

2. If you contact local driving schools, their instructors should knowthe details - and I'd have a few lessons before the test date anyway!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

http://www.nopenaltypoints.co.uk/disqualification-sitting-extended-test.html
    http://adiforum.co.uk/forum/discussion/6043/extended-test-after-a-ban/p1
    go to the forum replies for advice
    Its like a normal driving test bit longer as a summary.he might be advised to take time witha driving instructor and check his competence before taking it....if you do it in a strange car i think you wil be given tie to familiarise your self with the car.
    Hope that helps........but he might need a refreshed course to update his skills.It would seem its like taking a test for the first time again to check your skills

4. oldsomeman

ps he cannot drive on the road i believe without some one competent with him as he is disallowed.

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

If he's a competent driver with 60 odd years driving under his belt, the vehicle won't matter. I doubt he was driving a vehicle similar to the one he drove when he first started driving at the point his licence to drive was taken away.

I wish your father the best of luck in his test, mary, but at his age, if he fails it, it isn't the end of the world.

Does he still need a car to get him to work?
    Does he know how many taxis he can afford if he doesn't keep a car on the road?
    Is he not eligible for a free bus pass?
    Is he aware that he can get his shopping delivered for much less than the cost of the petrol it takes to drive to the supermarket and back?
    Is he aware that if he breaks down at the age of eighty, climbing under a car to try and fix a fault ain't gonna do his health a lot of good?

6. marymoocow

My dad was a very competent driver and is a very young nearly 80 year old, skiing, caravanning, hiking, cycling long distances, driving to the French Alps every year etc. He is more active than your average 70 year old. We suspect that they have been less lenient due to prejudice about his age. He was originally sent for an eye test for a condition that is now resolved and didn't affect his driving sight. The opticians he was sent to did an awful test on old machinery, something the DVLA has had to admit to as people were wrongly disqualified as a result.
    He has had corrective surgery and numerous more detailed top standard tests all of which he has passed. The rules for his retest is totally different to the ones people have kindly mentioned above as they are for criminal disqualification. Ironically the info we can find seems to suggest that had my dad voluntarily handed back his licence and then applied for a renewal when the he was healthy he would have had his licence renewed. As he forcibly had it removed he has to have a retest and can not drive until the test. Although the test is called an extended test it appears this test will only be 5 minutes longer than a normal test. Should he manage to get his licence back after nearly 2 years of fighting them and thousands of pounds of private drs fees, I have told him to do a freedom of information request to see if his optician was one that was using old equipment. If they were then he will sue the pants off them. My mum drives and is only in her 60s but hates driving and won't drive anywhere more than locally and has also injured her leg this year so it has severely limited them. They have been unable to go to their holiday studio in the alps, have had to put off holidays because of waiting for lots of tests and have been unable to use their caravan. Even with free bus passes and a willingness to use the train and living next to a big city, he has been severely limited. He has had to rely on friends and relatives.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Well, if he's good enough then he'll get back his licence. If he isn't, he won't regain it.

Heck, I'm in favour of everyone being retested every ten or fifteen years anyway.

If he deserves to be driving he will pass. I'm afraid I see no problem here.

8. oldsomeman

A friend of mine was wrongly diagnosed has having suffered a stroke.In hospital she met a woman determined she did have a stroke and bombarded her with questions even though she was still suffering.....and my friend still managed to score highly.The consultant told this obstreperous woman my friend had not suffered a stroke but she argued against him. and told the DVLA my friend did have a stroke
    Result the DVLA said she had to retake a test...That was a basic competency test of some 20 mins but in a strange place in a strange car( my friend is 75),Fortunately she received a letter from the hospital which said she wasn't suffering a stroke but something else and that she was fully competent to drive.O receiving the letter the centre cancelled her disqualification.
    I would still suggest that your dd have a time with an examiner as we all pick up bad habits when driving and we need to be reminded of them when driving with an examiner.
    I was led to believe they test your competency at driving rather than full test......II am just having to fill in a new license form as I am reaching 70 :(

9. grumpydogwoman

I don't know why people expect that, having driven for umpteen years, they should be entitled to carry on for life! There's a reason most elite sportsmen retire early. Also surgeons. They rarely go on much after 60. They know damned well they no longer can quite cut the mustard and don't want to kill people. Not every elderly person is a risk but being able to go for a brisk walk and garden for hours doesn't count for much when some idiot reverses out on the High Street and you need to brake sharpish!

Sorry. Your reaction times are nowhere near what they were! Some elderly drivers are absolutely terrifying!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/442800-how-does-aging-affect-reaction-time/

Older drivers can take steps to compensate for their longer reaction times. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration advises elderly drivers to leave larger following distances between cars, to avoid driving at night, to make left turns at stoplights with turn arrows and to have a companion along to serve as an extra pair of eyes.

As an added precaution, seniors should be especially careful to avoid drinking and driving. Even low levels of alcohol in the bloodstream that might not impair younger drivers can decrease driving performance in older people.

10. marymoocow

Thanks Olds, that sounds like what my Dad will be doing. He isn't allowed to drive with a driving instructor. He is just very nervous GDW. Ironically he is someone who has always advocated retesting with age. He also wanted to go on one of those courses to improve his driving before he lost his licence. He already has chosen to only drive in the day time. He knows he is unlikely to have many more years left of driving. I would be the first to take his licence away if I thought he was dangerous, having horror memories of being in the car with my Grandad as a child and avoiding a crash by the skin of our teeth!

11. oldsomeman

I dont understand that he is not allowed to go with a driving instructor as the instructor has their own insurance? i was talking about taking a lesson or two to check he is not making classic errors...maybe you misunderstood me....on the test the examiner will sit in the seat alongside the driver and they are usually dual control cars.But your dad surely can get a refresherlesson or two in,The instructor should be able to give him confidence.

grumpydogwoman and FrankWolley like this.
  12. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I think what @marymoocow means is that her father is medically disqualified from driving until the examiner finds him otherwise; hence, he could not drive, even with an instructor.

13. grumpydogwoman

I didn't mean to be harsh. Anybody would be nervous. Perhaps the thing to do is to work on some relaxation techniques? As well as the obvious online study which I think anyone ought to do to prepare these days. Maybe with your assistance setting it up?

I absolutely get Jolly's point but isn't it a crazy system that would have a DRIVING INSTRUCTOR assess your medical competence?

Lessons are a great idea if at all possible. Can you get a simulator-experience? I don't know. For hazard awareness?

14. marymoocow

We have an old airfield near us where people go to learn to drive so I am going to take him there. I've never been so I don't know how much we will be able to simulate real situations, junctions etc but it is better than nothing. The hazard awareness is a good point GDW. I think my friend bought the full dvd test practice package for her son which I might be able to borrow. If he passes, I am going to make sure he goes on one of these advanced driving courses too.

15. oldsomeman

I understand what you are saying.....but how is then how can he drive an extended test.Surely you need to be sure your skills are up to date.
    The airfield idea sounds a good one to get him behind the wheel again but beware he hits no one as your insurance probably doesn't cover him. I hope he succeeds in the task Mary moo x

16. grumpydogwoman

Yes, I keep meaning to do that. Advanced.

Good luck to him.