1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extended deadline

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by bayern22, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Interista

Interista New commenter

Some schools just keep extending them because they think someone better will come along. If they're doing that there is a high chance they will mess you around in my opinion.

2. TheComputingTeacher

TheComputingTeacher New commenter

It's seems most are waiting for the cheapest "best" candidates, all other applications are kept as a reserve. Just in case the cheapest candidate drops out.

Such a short sighted strategy.

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Salary: Competitive and full package (More salary information will be provided on the interview day.)

I wonder why this school posted this in an extended job advert. To think you spent 2 hours filling in an online application, 1 Skype interview, fly out for a face to face interview and then to be informed as the successful candidate you will be paid "Chicken Feed".

Why not post the full package in the job advert and stop wasting everyone's time and effort?

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

The parallel between McDonald's and the rent-a-name schools appears to be the term 'franchise'. Our experience of Ronald and his cohorts had been mediocre at best. Having set out from L.A. before dawn to drive to Flagstaff, Arizona, we looked for a mom & pop diner and didn't find one. So rather than tackle the Mojave Desert in a state of starvation I propelled a reluctant Mrs M into a McDonald's. 'But this is FOOD!' exclaimed my Best Beloved, amazed. Clearly some rent-a-name schools are both poor and pretentious. Are there any good ones?

5. february31st

When you consider the original names come from UK schools that have been none profit making charities for a hundred years or so, how can the franchise compete.

The schools in the UK have no owners, shareholders, investors, no large mortgages, no VAT and TAX payments. While the foreign franchises have to pay all these plus meet the financial aspirations of teachers.

The schools in the UK must be wondering when the magic money tree is going to die and no more $$$$ will be heading into their bank account for doing SFA.

6. february31st

I can see at least 4 schools re advertising for teachers, maybe the schools in questions should consider why they are not getting the applications they think are appropriate.

1. Pay and Conditions need improving.
    2. A 200 plus days contact teaching year.
    3. Bad reviews on the IRS.
    4. No Christmas holidays.
    5. 20 days additional summer school teaching required.
    6. School is in the middle of nowhere.
    7. A minimum 9 hour teaching day.
    8. Working 2 Saturdays a month.
    9. Boarding duties.
    10. The students don't speak any English.

alex_teccy likes this.