1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extended deadline

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by bayern22, Nov 28, 2019.

1. bayern22

bayern22 New commenter

One of the jobs that I've applied for initially had a deadline today, but it is now extended to the end of next week. Is this because they have not found a suitable candidate, or simply means they will contact shortlisted candidates after the new deadline? I've had a look at all the jobs advertised for this school and all are extended.

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

There are schools in Shanghai who have advertised 3 times already on the TES(extended deadline), maybe they have the word Bilingual in their title. Near panic setting in at some schools due to no qualified teachers want to work their no matter how much rent is paid for the name.

3. bayern22

bayern22 New commenter

This is one of the top schools in SE Asia though...

4. february31st

I have seen an online application page for one of the "top schools" in Asia where the pull down menu to enter your university qualifications only has the top 50 world university in the options. It does not even let you type in "University of Blackpool", maybe a gentle hint.

If you have already submitted your application better look elsewhere.

5. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Feb31, stop being grumpy, the holidays are only a couple of weeks away! ;)

Could be any number of reasons. They maybe haven't had a lot of applications, or someone's off sick, or they've had a few but they're not great, etc, etc.

6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I know the one you mean. I've seen quite a few like this. There is one large chain school that likes to think of its schools as cookie cutter copies of its quite well-established British counterpart. It has a similar drop down menu but you can enter the dreaded 'other' which I assume sends your application straight to the bin.

7. february31st

I wish them luck in recruiting 100plus ivy league graduates required to fill all their current vacancies in 5th tier Chinese cities.

If its not in Shanghai its a hardship posting!

T0nyGT likes this.
  8. bayern22

bayern22 New commenter

It does say “application in process” though. My university is in the drop down list ;).

9. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Perhaps, as some schools with an overinflated sense of their own importance do, they feel that a Formula One driver is required for the bus run but should be paid the same as a rikshaw driver. They are then genuinely shocked when no one seems interested in taking up their offer.

lunarita and T0nyGT like this.
  10. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

If you visit the site regularly you'll know that there are vacancies that have been advertised, extended, closed then uber hyper extended since May. There are several reasons for this. But in general it comes down to poor package AND..... it continues to roll out way too many teachers who have had a horrid time. Its reputation isn't great and simply can't hide the very true fact.

Like the job and won't be going anywhere any time soon. But always look on job sites and you can easily identify the schools who have a revolving door in the same area/subject of interest.

11. february31st

Just noticed a few new reviews of school schools in China giving a glowing 9.5 out of 10, compared to the usual 6.5 score.

School owners may want to consider the ISR campaign for fair treatment of staff to aid staff retention.

I seem to recall that it costs between 4500 to 7500USD to recruit and replace staff, I know advertising in the TES is not cheap.

Anyway plenty of applicants with iPGCE to fill the gaps in front of the inter active white boards.

towncryer likes this.
  12. february31st

One school in Shanghai with multiple extended deadlines is now mentioning its school calendar as 205 working days, but only 195 student contact days.

13. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

'If its not in Shanghai its a hardship posting!'

Easy tiger!

GZ is not a hardship posting by any stretch, and Kunming the City of Eternal Spring would be a close second, Shenzen is also fine, as a legendary river horse will testify?? I also have friends who have worked in Chongqing, Hangzhou and Chengdu who had a good time there. It depends what you are looking for, each to his own febster.

14. february31st

Some of the city's the new Bilingual schools are opening up in may have a population of 3 million, but there is only 1 McDonald's and no Starbucks.

Don't even think about finding a Doctor that speaks English or Marmite in any local shops.

15. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Some of us might welcome the lack of McDonald’s.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  16. february31st

I am glad to say there are places in China where there are only 4 things to drink, water, Snow, 3in1 and Great Wall. But I wouldn't want to live there!

17. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Or Starbucks. Not set foot in a McDonalds in 29 years, and have no desire to ever go back

18. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

We have marmite in the shops here in Hong Kong but I still wait to I go home to stock up. Not paying that price!

schools here have a deadline but will interview as soon as someone applies. So if you wait too long they may have already appointed even it the deadline is weeks away.

19. BrandonO82

BrandonO82 New commenter

Don't fret, there's not necessarily an issue with this extension, it's not a long one. Have a little patience and I'm sure everything will be alright.

20. february31st

The schools are waiting for an applicant riding a unicorn and has the ability to walk on water.

A new rent-a-name school is opening 5 new Bilingual schools this year alone in tier 2 and 3 cities. Looking forward to it recruiting 100 teachers with ivy league degrees in the next 6 months.

T0nyGT likes this.