1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extended Day Care

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by yellowmini, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Hi, wondered if anyone has any advice?
    I am the manager of an extended day care service working from 12 til 5 everyday, I share the room I use with a nursery class which runs from 9 til 12. Yesterday I arrived at work to find the room had completely altered - this included covering the staff notice board with fabric so that the information and paper work on it now unaccessible and placing name trays of children of EDC on top of each other making these unaccessible for the children. I feel really upset by the lack of respect and value that these actions appear to demonstrate towards the service that I and my colleagues provide.
    The early years leader stated to me she has asked me if I minded changes being made ( whilst passing in the corridors) and I had always stated that generally I was open to changes being made if felt appropriate and if could be done mindful of the changing needs of the children as the day progresses - lots of floor space to play and relax on. The changes made did not take into account my requests without the moving of additional furniture. I expressed to the manager that it would have been good if I had at least known this was about to happen if not more fully involved.
    This is the latest issue in ongoing concerns and issues I have had recently. Last week I returned from a mandatory course to find my colleague in the room on her own with 12 children - she was told that another member of staff was in the staff resource room, half way down the corridor, and she could call if she needed any assistance. I rose this as a concern and was told by EY lead that this was acceptable practice - is it? Was she not over her ratios 1 - 8 and left vulnerable as on her own. The following day I was left in a similar position for 15 mins and had to cope with 16 children including a child who was being aggressive to other children. I raised both these concerns to the head who is related to the EY lead.
    Should I just resign? I am beginning to feel physically sick when I think about work... Sorry this such a long post.

2. Hi, wondered if anyone has any advice?
    I am the manager of an extended day care service working from 12 til 5 everyday, I share the room I use with a nursery class which runs from 9 til 12. Yesterday I arrived at work to find the room had completely altered - this included covering the staff notice board with fabric so that the information and paper work on it now unaccessible and placing name trays of children of EDC on top of each other making these unaccessible for the children. I feel really upset by the lack of respect and value that these actions appear to demonstrate towards the service that I and my colleagues provide.
    The early years leader stated to me she has asked me if I minded changes being made ( whilst passing in the corridors) and I had always stated that generally I was open to changes being made if felt appropriate and if could be done mindful of the changing needs of the children as the day progresses - lots of floor space to play and relax on. The changes made did not take into account my requests without the moving of additional furniture. I expressed to the manager that it would have been good if I had at least known this was about to happen if not more fully involved.
    This is the latest issue in ongoing concerns and issues I have had recently. Last week I returned from a mandatory course to find my colleague in the room on her own with 12 children - she was told that another member of staff was in the staff resource room, half way down the corridor, and she could call if she needed any assistance. I rose this as a concern and was told by EY lead that this was acceptable practice - is it? Was she not over her ratios 1 - 8 and left vulnerable as on her own. The following day I was left in a similar position for 15 mins and had to cope with 16 children including a child who was being aggressive to other children. I raised both these concerns to the head who is related to the EY lead.
    Should I just resign? I am beginning to feel physically sick when I think about work... Sorry this such a long post.