1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ExpressVPN

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by spanboy, Jun 2, 2019.

1. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Are the Party in conference in Beijing, or whatever, this weekend does anyone know, as I'm having real problems connecting?

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

The party committed a certain atrocity 30 years ago on Tuesday, and they don't want anyone reading about, commenting on or making reference to it.

Knowledge is power.

spanboy likes this.
  3. spanboy

Ah yes of course: TS 1989. Bing and Yahoo it is then, for a few days!

4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Ugh. Hate Bing and Yahoo :-(

spanboy likes this.
  5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Try installing a version of Chrome called “Epic”.

spanboy likes this.
  6. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

Can you get Opera? Secure browsing and a free integral VPN.

7. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

I thought OPERA dropped the free VPN thing.

I'd be interested to know how well this works, being Chromium based.

https://www.epicbrowser.com/

8. february31st

Its my default browser as I hate all the trackers from Facebook and Google spying on me...……..

9. RoadToRags

RoadToRags New commenter

The vpn rhyming with shrill seems to have far fewer dropouts than Express, which has been more shaky for some time.

10. Helen-Back

It worked for me most of the time in China. It never really worked well enough to stream BBC. Its less likely to drop out if you also sign up for Stealth mode and a private IP address.

11. spanboy

Thanks all. I tried Opera - all in Chinese. Tried Bing and that was great. All in all, I'm gonna change to Astril, as some of my colleagues who use it have had no problem with theirs this weekend. They say it's not as fast as Express, but more reliable all-round.

12. Ms_Love_

Ms_Love_ Occasional commenter

Astrill is working ok.

13. spanboy

I meant EPIC...no idea why I put 'Bing!!'

14. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Express has been dodgy since the conference earlier this year. It will connect to the US most of the time but not all, and that's useless for iPlayer, etc. Think my subscription is up with them so might take a free trial with Astrill after the summer.

15. Helen-Back

With Astrill it's definitely worth also purchasing stealth mode and a private IP address.

spanboy likes this.
  16. spanboy

Yeah, ours runs out in July and was thinking the same...though we have been able to connect to Wembley frequently. But when it's down, it's down!

17. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Mrs Hippopotamus and her overweight husband were fans of Astrill during their five years in the Middle Kingdom. It worked pretty well, most of the time.

18. MissTilscher

MissTilscher New commenter

Thank you for this recommendation. Have just tried it in Thailand and was able to watch iPlayer!

Helen-Back and spanboy like this.
  19. MissTilscher

MissTilscher New commenter

I am moving to Beijing in August and will purchase my VPN before leaving Thailand. Would people suggest that Express is not the one to go for nowadays?

20. february31st

I would recommend paying for the individual IP address options.

I would also recommend buying a new laptop with a genuine version of Windows 10 and Office2016 or 365. Software in China only seems to bein Chinese and can not be changed into English without the purchase of Ultimate versions of the operating system.Apple machines are priced as they are made of gold in China.

An Asus wifi router that can install Asusmerlin firmware so you can install the vpn and access all devices attached to it. All electronic devices sold in China are just **** compared to the same models you can buy outside of China.

A new mobile so it doesn't have the Little Chinese Firewall install that prevents the use if certain programmes on your phone. Even if you are outside china certain apps will not install on a Chinese mobile unless you have the phone rooted.