1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Expressive Arts GCSE

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by Tarquin Sequin, Jun 26, 2008.

1. In our school Music, Art and Drama are currently taught to all in KS3. In Sept, Music, Art and Drama will be taught to Year 7 and 8. In Yer 9, they can choose an option from Arts, Humanities, Languages, D+T etc.
    We run BTEc ourse, but can not deliver these to Year 9 students. We currently offer GCSE's in the seperate subject areas too.

Has anyone had any experience of the Expressive Arts course offered by AQA? Is this a qualification we can do in a Year (4 hours per week) with Year 9? WHat is the course like?

Thank you for your help.

2. In our school Music, Art and Drama are currently taught to all in KS3. In Sept, Music, Art and Drama will be taught to Year 7 and 8. In Yer 9, they can choose an option from Arts, Humanities, Languages, D+T etc.
    We run BTEc ourse, but can not deliver these to Year 9 students. We currently offer GCSE's in the seperate subject areas too.

Has anyone had any experience of the Expressive Arts course offered by AQA? Is this a qualification we can do in a Year (4 hours per week) with Year 9? WHat is the course like?

Thank you for your help.

3. I have been teaching expressive arts gcse on my 2nd placement. It's taught in our school across 2 years, with one lesson a week (1 hour 15) for each art form, so if they do dance and drama for their options, they do an hour of each. I guess with careful planning and really pushing the students it *could* be done in a year in theory but it depends on ability etc. It is VERY coursework driven (well, the one in our school is) and is roughly 2/3 written. if it's of any help I could send you some copies of the sheets we use to guide the pupils?

4. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

hi
    i am introducing GCSE Expressive Arts to my school next year. Michelle, could you kindly send me your guidance sheets? thank you

mrdoody@hotmail.co.uk

5. will send when i get home, got 23 files and school email is slllloooowww

6. Mad dog

Mad dog New commenter

Don't do AQA - Do OCR - leave an email and I will forward you some stuff

7. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

Michelle, I can't access that email account until the weekend, so there is no rush, but thank you so much for your help

8. hi,

I agree with mad dog - consider OCR expressive arts - it is so much more flexible.

9. I also recommend OCR Expressive Arts - we've just taken our 2nd cohort through so are stiil quite new to it - we have Drama/Dance/Music and for one or two pupils we have poetry (creative writing)too. The students have one lesson a week of each, except during the run up to exams when the staff work together. If you want some more info you can reach me on
    missman2@btinternet.com

10. hi all

tried to email last week but it bounced back on 2 or 3 accounts because it is a massive set of files. please let me know if you have another email to send it to etc

11. HF

HF

Is there much difference between aqa and OCR?

12. HF

HF

Hi mad dog - yu seem to be the guru of Gcse expressive arts on here. There seems to be loads of resources everywhere for aqa but hardly anything for OCR. I've been running the course for a couple of years but still looking for any inspiration. I was wondering if you cold give me any guidance on how to produce the portfolios with more structure - although I do already have your published document and some guidance on a scheme of work or overview for the course. I think it may be that I'm used to teaching gcse music so I'm used to a more structured course and more resources!

My email address is dodd@orange.net if you could help at all. Thank you in advance

13. Hi

I would also be very grateful if you could send me some resources and I am also looking for guidance and resources for the GCSE EX arts OCR spec especially on how to produce the portfolios. It is the first time i have run this as well and I am used to the BTEC structure. My email is jingohull@aol.com.

Many thanks for any help you could offer :)

14. Hi

Wondering if anyone can help me? I'm currently delivering the OCR GCSE Expressive Arts course. They say you can't use writing frames however Ive used them in the past and nothings ever been said. What do they class as writing frames/templates? Do any of you use writing frames/templates?

Many thanks

Geo