1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Expressing Fractions KS2 Tests

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nick909, Mar 5, 2019.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Hi all, apologies if this has been answered on here before. I've had a few years reprieve from Y6 but am back this year and am struggling to get a clear answer - no-one agrees in my place.

Do fraction answers to the KS2 tests need to be expressed in simplest form/as mixed numbers to be marked correct?

I obviously encourage the children as much as possible to do this as a matter of course, but the odd one occasionally doesn't, and I've always maintained that the answers are still correct (because they are)!

Is there a clear cut understanding of this?

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

From the 2018 mark scheme General marking principles -
    The answer is numerically or algebraically equivalent to the answer in the mark scheme. -

For fraction answers that can be expressed as a mixed number, the fraction paired with the integer must be a proper fraction, e.g. 1 6/4 will not be awarded the mark although method marks may still be available.

In the mark scheme it shows that equivalent fractions are acceptable (e.g. q24 of paper 1), If a simple form is required the question should state this.

nick909 likes this.
  3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Many thanks.

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I think any equivalent is acceptable in the arithmetic (as outlined above), but in the reasoning it may specify ‘in its simplest form’ in which case obviously it must be simplified.

I seem to remember a question a couple of years ago which was something like 3/4 of 240 or 3/4 x 240 where it specifically said that 720/4 was NOT acceptable. But I could be getting muddled and misremembering.

5. MadHatter1985

MadHatter1985 New commenter

In the KS2 SATS Paper 1 (Calculation), the mark scheme will accept equivalent fractions so long as they are proper fractions, e.g. both 2/5 and 4/10s would be acceptable. Students can simplify if they want, but they do not have to.
    BUT
    They do not accept improper fractions e.g. 10/6. They would expect this to be written as 1 4/6 (one and four sixths). They could simplify this to 1 2/3 but this is not compulsory.

6. WB

WB Occasional commenter

If the question does not specify the format of the answer then any equivalent answer is acceptable. The kids need to read the question and then answer it... that's a whole other world of pain!

7. modgepodge

Not true, for example question 35 last year the mark scheme gives both a mixed number and an improper fraction as acceptable answers.

8. TheBigPickle

TheBigPickle New commenter

My understanding from teaching this scenario in Year 6 is that the question will specify if an equivalent, mixed number or the simplest form is desired in the answer.

9. MadHatter1985

MadHatter1985 New commenter

Thanks for the correction, Modgepodge!

10. ChrisKitsiou

ChrisKitsiou New commenter

I'll keep my question brief. 2018 ks2 sats maths paper 1.

Q33) 1 1/2 x 40 =

Why was 120/2 not accepted when in other fractions questions any equivalent is completely fine?
    We had children who converted 1 1/2 into 3/2 and then solved it as you would do on a regular multiplication of fractions question.

11. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Any equivalent will be accepted. However, if the fraction can make a whole number like 120/2 then you have to write the whole number.

12. modgepodge

I think this is the question I referred to in post #4. I also can’t understand why he improper fraction would not be acceptable. Milgod’s explanation makes some sense I suppose, though it seems unfair. They clearly know how to multiply fractions but get no credit for it.

13. Milgod

It is unfair. We argued it for some on the 2016 papers but appeals got rejected. Ho hum.

14. ChrisKitsiou

Milgod- so why is 60/1 an acceptable answer then but 120/2 isn't?

15. Milgod

What question/paper was 60/1 on?

16. ChrisKitsiou

Pretty sure it was 2018 ks2 sats maths paper 1.

Q33) 1 1/2 x 40 =

60 or 60/1 was accepted but not 120/2