1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Expressing at parents' eve

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Fleur ;-), Jan 30, 2011.

1. Hi all, I currently express once at work at lunch time which is working really well. I then get home for 4-4.30 for his next feed (only live 5 mins away). It's parents' eve next week, 1.30 till 7.30. Obviously I'll miss the 4pm feed and his bedtime feed at 6.30. We're expected to do appointments for that total time; am i allowed breaks for expressing at 4 and 6.30? I'm concerend as i think that by 6.30 i'm going to be really uncomfortable. The problem is i'm not sure if i'll fit all the appointments in if i take the time out! I'm debating whether to ask for the time or just grit my teeth as it's a one off. What do others think?

2. Hi all, I currently express once at work at lunch time which is working really well. I then get home for 4-4.30 for his next feed (only live 5 mins away). It's parents' eve next week, 1.30 till 7.30. Obviously I'll miss the 4pm feed and his bedtime feed at 6.30. We're expected to do appointments for that total time; am i allowed breaks for expressing at 4 and 6.30? I'm concerend as i think that by 6.30 i'm going to be really uncomfortable. The problem is i'm not sure if i'll fit all the appointments in if i take the time out! I'm debating whether to ask for the time or just grit my teeth as it's a one off. What do others think?

3. Just quickly as i really need to go do my planning- I'm sure you're entitled to breaks and can say that you won't have any appointments between say 5.30 and 5.45 or however long it takes. Good luck!

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Would it be possible for whoever is looking after your baby to bring the baby to you to be fed?

5. Don't just grit your teeth, you'll be so uncomfortable. You have every right to be able to express.
    Tell your line manager - or whoever it is that you'll need to tell - that you won't be available between such and such times. You shouldn't have to ask anyone's permission to do this.
    I know that I have no knowledge of your workplace, but in my experience, any time I've ever even mentioned the words 'express milk' or 'breastfeeding' to a line manager (usually male), they've been so embarassed that they don't protest at all. (And neither should they.)

6. Can you not ask some students if you could phone their parents/see them a different time instead?

7. I totally agree with what everyone has said about expressing but surely you shouldn't be expected to do appointments for all that time anyway. 1:30 til 7 without a break is ridiculous even if you don't need to express...are you primary or secondary?

8. Just wanted to say that I don't think your employer can demand that you have appointments back to back for that amount of time withour a break. At my previous school they advised us to leave ourselves a 10min break during parents' eveing to go to the llo, get a drink, etc. Surely you're entitled to a break, breastfeeding or not?

9. You're entitle to 15 minutes break for every 4 hours you work regardless of the situation.
    WRT Breastfeeding and Expressing, you are entitled to do it, and you have to be provided somewhere suitable to do it, this doesn't matter whether it's Parents' Evening or not. Don't make yourself uncomfortable or run the risk of becoming ill by gritting your teeth and not doing it. It's not worth it.

10. Thanks for your replies everyone, i've asked for some time and have sorted a break in appointments. The amount of time we're expected to do back to back apps for is something we've wondered about as a staff, thanks for the info on that xx

11. That does seem like a very long time indeed but it's nice to be given the afternoon off school to do Parents' Night so there are pros and cons. We're not allowed to start until 5. I had 52 Year 9 pupils to see the other night and even galloping through at maximum of five minutes each, I still didn't get to see five of them as I refused to work beyond 9pm having been in the building since 7.45am - without a break!
    Hearing everything on here and seeing everything that goes in all the schools I've worked in, I do think we must be a bit mad to do this job!