1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

***Exporting a Car to the ME***

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Ms_Smiles, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Ms_Smiles

Ms_Smiles New commenter

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone here as any experience of exporting their vehicle from the UK to the ME?

I am thinking of doing this (have a brand new car) and don't really wish to sell it so just looking at possible options.

Thanks for reading :)

2. sally bee

sally bee New commenter

You are not allowed to import a car and register it (certainly in Qatar) if it right hand drive. Even if it is left-hand drive, I certainly wouldn't like to guess how much that would cost you in transporting the car and paying the import permits and taxes on it.

Second hand cars are going quite cheaply here at the moment. It would have to be a better option.

3. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Ms_Smiles, this is not a good idea. What you could do is simply park it in the garage. The car will not fall to pieces while you are away. If you sell a new car, then of course you will not get back anything near what you paid for it.

Second-hand cars might go cheaply, but it might not be cheap to keep them going, sally bee. In Qatar, the main dealers charged a fortune for car repairs and so I usually took my old Hyundai station wagon to the Indian place by the flyover.

4. deadly lampshade

deadly lampshade New commenter

5. Ms_Smiles

Ms_Smiles New commenter

Thank you both so much for your advice!

The Hippo, as always, you are a fountain of knowledge!

6. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

My car is currently sitting in the garage, back in Bulgaria. Of course it will be a pleasure to drive it again in the summer hols. www.qatarliving.com has a big section about second-hand cars and I am sure that there are similar websites for the UAE.

A cynical friend once said to me, "There is no such thing as a second-hand car. There are only new cars, but do you buy it all in one go or a piece at a time?"

7. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

I did once look into doing something similar a few years ago. I had bought a brand new car in Bahrain and I was moving to Egypt. My plan was to drive across the infamous causeway to the 'Magic Kingdom'. Then go overland to Jeddah (Dibba) and take the Red Sea ferry across to Hurghada and then drive up the Red Sea coast to Cairo. I think it would have been a good plan despite the view of sand and salt water for most of the way. The downside was the 80% tax on the value of the car that the Egyptian authoities wanted to impose.

Needless to say I didn't bother and sold the car for almost what I had paid for it. I would go with the hippo's advice, while it won't be brand new in terms of licence plate and value it will still be your nice new car once you return.

8. february31st

february31st Occasional commenter

I drove home from the ME two and a half times during my sentence. On my last trip I took the short cut, KSA to Jordan and Aqaba, Aqaba ferry to Egypt, Hurghada to Alexander and Alexander to Capri Italy. This was so I didn't have to sell my Toyota Hilux for scrap value, eventually sold it in France for a profit on the way home!

If you live in Europe the steering wheel is on the correct side, its just the paper work you need to sort out.

9. Ms_Smiles

Ms_Smiles New commenter

Thanks for your help guys.

Shall purchase a motor when we move over methinks, Hippo is bang on shall park our current motor in the garage :)

10. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Hello Ms Smiles,

As others have said - don't do it - isn't worth the cost or hassle. In addition, being a RHD car you are unlikely to get insurance or will have a hiked premium in the Middle East. Also difficult to get parts for RHD.

Although the value of your car will go down, if you are planning to come home every year, hire cars can literally run into the £1,000s quite quickly. Having your own car, readily insured and taxed, works out at least about the same.

Something to be mindful of - when you become officially non-resident (after 12 months? - somebody will confirm), you need to notify your insurance agent as this is a change in your circumstances. They will either increase your premium or will refuse to insure you any longer. This happened to me this Summer.

If this does happen, go to Aviva who, provided certain conditions are met (eg it is garaged, or that there is someone living at your house if it is kept on the drive - can't just be anybody, has to be a relative) they will insure you.

Unfortunately, in many areas (insurance, investment, mortgages) expats are the new pariah. Welcome to our world!

11. simon43

simon43 New commenter

I'm not sure how it works in the UK (been out of the country for 15 years). But could you not rent out the car if you are away for a couple of years? You'd be getting some extra income, rather than having the car sitting in the garage doing nothing. (In any case, you shouldn't really just leave a car for long periods without use or charging up the battery etc).