1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Expo and Edexcel textbooks opinion.

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Janna5, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Hello everyone,
    what do you think about the Expo series for French KS3?
    And Edexcel Syllabus for KS4?
    I'm about to start the PGCE and was thinking about buying them to have a frame so that I can build resources around them.
    Are they good or would you recommend different ones?

Thank you very much!

2. Hello everyone,
    what do you think about the Expo series for French KS3?
    And Edexcel Syllabus for KS4?
    I'm about to start the PGCE and was thinking about buying them to have a frame so that I can build resources around them.
    Are they good or would you recommend different ones?

Thank you very much!

3. HI Janna
    All you need for Edexcel GCSE is on the Edexcel website so you don't need to buy that. Also for Expo - may be buy it if you feel the need but I would wait until you get to your placements and see which books they use and create resources around them.
    Also when you start working or on your placement your school may not use Expo/Edexcel; though the resources can be adapted for other course books and exam courses, if you base your resource solely around those two you will find that you may need a page from the book to make the resource work and so the task can't be done.
    You'll find loads of resources on TES, the school where you are going may also have a good bank too - that doesn;t exempt you from making them but if you start now it may not be totally necessary.
    Classroom displays are always a good one to create and can go with you where ever.
    Good luck

4. mpc

mpc

Hi Janna,
    Just to echo what Miss Break said, really. You won't know which books your placement schools use (if any!) for a while.
    In your position I would start to browse the following websites to build up some potential resources.
    TES resources
    MFL Sunderland
    Languages Resources
    Frenchteacher.net
    Heinemann provide lots of support material for their courses so it may be worth having a look there for bits and pieces too. Expo is good but, like all courses, it has its weak points.
    Best wishes,
    mpc

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

May I just add how wonderful it is to see a trainee teacher who is so keen and motivated - please don't let go of that, even though parts of your PGCE and NQT year will be hard.
    We are all here for you - anytime you hit a brick wall, come and ask us for help, please.
    H
    xx

6. Hello Miss Break, Mpc and Henriette.
    Thank you all! I will definitely be looking into those websites.
    The thing is, I don't have a specific idea of the curriculum so I need some kind of reference.
    I will not rely on it, I will just have a look to have a global idea.
    I really want to be ready and I feel that knowing in advance what I'm supposed to be teaching throughout the year, topic by topic would help me a lot that's why I was asking about textbooks.
    I'm looking for a good one that covers all the ks3 areas and another one for ks4.
    Do you guys have a preferred one for your own reference?
    Dear Henriette,
    thank you very much for your kind words; I'm already a little on the obsessive control freak side I'm afraid lol

7. I am not suggesting you go out and buy them (reasons as other answers) but Studio by Heinemann seems to be replacing Expo at KS3. At KS4 Expo is about as good as you get (in my opinion!).

Good luck for your PGCE and it's great to see someone so enthusiastic!

8. chris_martin

chris_martin New commenter

Hi there,

I have taught in a school for the past 3 years that uses Expo for KS3 and Edexcel for KS4. Their textbooks are very well laid out in both cases. But as our other colleagues say, hang fire...I am about to start in a new school and they are YEARS behind and still use Métro...!

9. Thank you all!
    You are such a lovely and helpful community, very grateful!