1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Explosion at Port Talbot steelworks.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Apr 26, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

No casualties, apparently.

But...

[​IMG]

agathamorse likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That looks terribly apocalyptic.

Hope no-one is hurt.

nomad and agathamorse like this.
  3. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Dramatic pictures. It seems that two people have minor injuries from the explosion.

nomad and agathamorse like this.
  4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

A Tata facility again - explosions seem to be a regular occurance at their plants!

lanokia, nomad and agathamorse like this.
  5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

That photo looks like it was taken from my Grand daughter's former bedroom (They moved house 18 months ago).

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Sons tells me that one of the 'torpedoes' they transport the liquid iron away from the blast furnaces exploded. He has been told to take the day off.

nomad likes this.
  7. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

Something to be borne in mind the next time you think you are having a bad day at work.

bevdex and grumpydogwoman like this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Sorry to the residents and (few) remaining workers of Port Talbot but I drove past it on my way to pick up the dog from the rescue centre in Llanelli and it didn't take me long to decide I was very glad not to have to live there.

It looks a lot more picturesque in the photo than it does in ordinary daylight.

Tata. Hmm. Health and Safety. Right. Making a quick buck out of Britain's ailing industrial infrastructure. I suppose some capitalist or other has to do it.

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I remember that happening years ago. The reason was supposed to be molten iron poured into a torpedo containing water. People died that time.

10. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

I thought that they employed about 4,000 people...

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Blazer major bought his first house overlooking the steelworks. He could walk to work. At night it was a pretty spectacular sight with flames of differing colours venting from roof. It was smelly though, very sulphurous. Also anything left outside soon collected a layer of soot. I am glad they moved to the other side of Swansea. They didn't bother moving anything that had been outside, they just skipped it all.

12. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Well, I guess you can call that the "few remaining employees" compared to the 18,000 or so who used to work there.

13. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Can you? It's still a lot of people...

14. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I wouldn't either, but it was another poster who called them "the few remaining employees" and I think that they can legitimately use that description when contrasting the current position with a previous one.