1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Explorers Topic

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by miss_ruthy, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I have been working on an explorers topic with my Reception Class and have come to a bit of a stand still with it now!
    It's been really good so far! We looked at space the first 2 weeks, under the sea for the 3rd week and the jungle for the past 2 weeks. I had planned to look at polar regions this week, but I have just found out that the children did a wonter topic before I started (I started this new school in January) so have looked at melting, polar animals, etc.
    I'm after a bit of inspiration of where we can explore next! I was thinking of maybe exploring China, which would link in with Chinese new year, but do you think that that has been and gone and too late to look at next week?
    I'm a great believer that children in Early Years need to experience something first before working on it school, so it might be a good idea to learn about China next week. But then I don't want people thinking, "Why are they learning about China when there New Year was last week!"
    Any support would be very much appreicated.
    Also, if anyone is planning on an Explorers topic in the future and would like my plans, I will gladly email them over to you as it has been a real success.
    Thank you very much!

2. Hello,
    I have been working on an explorers topic with my Reception Class and have come to a bit of a stand still with it now!
    It's been really good so far! We looked at space the first 2 weeks, under the sea for the 3rd week and the jungle for the past 2 weeks. I had planned to look at polar regions this week, but I have just found out that the children did a wonter topic before I started (I started this new school in January) so have looked at melting, polar animals, etc.
    I'm after a bit of inspiration of where we can explore next! I was thinking of maybe exploring China, which would link in with Chinese new year, but do you think that that has been and gone and too late to look at next week?
    I'm a great believer that children in Early Years need to experience something first before working on it school, so it might be a good idea to learn about China next week. But then I don't want people thinking, "Why are they learning about China when there New Year was last week!"
    Any support would be very much appreicated.
    Also, if anyone is planning on an Explorers topic in the future and would like my plans, I will gladly email them over to you as it has been a real success.
    Thank you very much!

3. How about your local area? Sometimes it's amazing what you find out that you didn't already know! I find it's often neglected as a topic area and you can 'explore' more than just the environment - famous people who came from that place (politicians, celebrities, artists, writers, singers, comedians, sports people, inventors, etc), inventions, historical landmarks (heritage sites, listed buildings, innovative design and architecture, etc), links to twin towns, comparable towns in other countries...

4. Hi Miss_Ruthy,
    We are doing a whole school topic about inventors and explorers next term and I can't seem to get inspired about it! Is there any chance you would still have your plans and be willing to send them to me?!
    Thanks,
    Sarah :)

5. Hi miss ruthy

I am going to start an Explorers topic after Christmas but haven't planned anything as yet, if you could send your plans I'd appreciate the starting points and ideas, glad to hear you had such fun with it :) missdavies9@hotmail.com

Could you not do Chinese New Year as a days theme? In our setting we are doing Winter topic for a week and a day about Chinese New Year the Monday after Chinese New Year has finished so that the chn might have seen or experienced something about it.

A bit uncreative... but Pirates fits into the explorers theme, that's why we decided to go down that route as alot of our boys have been found making treasure maps.

Thanks again :)

6. Hi,

I'm planning on teaching an explorers topic with my reception class in the Spring term. If you still have your plans available, I would love a copy. Many thanks, Laura

Laurancfc@yahoo.co.uk

7. hi we follow a whole school curriculum and go global in Jan- I am in reception and we are going to explore Africa- then move onto African animals, jungle, rainforest etc and see where it takes us.

8. I know this is originally an old topic...but if it's still being viewed I would really appreciate some "explorers" planning to look at!

soxbox1000@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks!

9. Hi, I'm a trainee teacher and about to embark on the topic of explorers/jungle animals with my Reception class after half term! I'm very nervous and would LOVE a copy of your plans to see if I'm on the right track if thats ok?! pami_copey@hotmail.com Thanks!

10. Hi Ruthy,
    I am currently planning a little explorers topic as a result of the children's love of our recent week on space (linked to transport) I wanted to change our rather old 'People who help us' plans for something more exciting. Like you I have thought of Space, jungle (rainforest) Dinosaurs and volcanoes and perhaps Ice and Polar regions. We do a whole topic on Water. Would really appreciate a look at your plans if you still have them?

Best wishes Becky
    bestbecks@hotmail.com

11. Hi there,
    I've just read your ideas and I am about to start my final placement in a Reception class. I've been given the topic explorers to plan for and I would love to see your plans. If you would be kind enough to email them to me, I'd be really grateful! My email address is antonia@antoniagabriel.freeserve.co.uk

12. I read with great interest your ideas on Exploers.
    I'd very much like to take you up on your offer of your plans if that still stands,
    thanks
    Iain
    top.class@virgin.net

13. Hi Antonia, I hope your final placement went well. How did your topic 'Explorers' go. I am going to be planning for this soon but I was wondering whether you could possibly share any of the ideas/plans that you came up with with me. If so I'll send you my email address. Thank you in advance if you can help me!

14. suffolksmiler

suffolksmiler New commenter

Wow what fantastic ideas.
    A jungle / rainforest, sounds good as there are so many living creatures you can discover - see the book Walking Through the Jungle Or Africa - Handas surprize
    How about a magic carpet ride, light a joss stick and rub the lantern where do you arrive? - search the world for different foods. How do they grow, what do you make with them? You can try different types of bread around the world, this will include the UK then.
    You can also encourage multiculturalism - Chinese, Indian, Italian, Spanish, Thai, Carribean, English Fish and Chips! What types of food places do you have in your locality?
    Not sure if this is the sort of exploring you were thinking off but ideas came from you mentioning Chinese New Year.
    Please can you email me any planning you have already, as I am feeling inspired! [​IMG]
    Stephanie30@talktalk.net Thanks

15. Wow, they sound like great ideas! I thought about letting a balloon off and tracking its progress, explore some places in England but then track it in other areas (wherever the children seem interested in) Australia, China etc. I was thinking of discovering space (that would inspire my boys especially!)

16. I'm about to start an explorers topic...if anyone has any planning they'd be willing to share I would be very grateful :)

soxbox1000@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you!