1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exploiting a longer text with low ability pupils

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jennah, Nov 26, 2011.

1. It's highly unlikely any will choose to take French to GCSE, so this will be their last year. However the text is about the same standard as they will get in the end of module exam. I'd love to use Task Magic to do activities with it, but I don't think we have that at school (I'm new to the school, but I've not found it on any of the computers). I do have my own copy of the create version, though, so have created a worksheet (I know I said they hate them!) with the text in sections but mixed up, so they can cut up the text, listen to the text being read out, and put it in the right order. Then they can stick it in their books. Still trying to think about what else I can do with it

2. Take a look at http://manxman.ch/moodle2/course/view.php?id=16
    The film mentioned is in English for EFL learners but a version in French is also available from Channel 4 TV learning. http://www.channel4.com/learning/microsites/E/extra/french_flash_home.html
    I've used the English version with SEN in Switzerland for EFL with huge success!
    Regards

3. I don't know if it's a "great idea" but it has worked for me and 2 of my weaker groups:

First, translate the text back into English - word for word ie as close to the TL text as possible. Cut it up into paragraphs and let them sort it first into the correct order. For some linguistically weak children this might be quite a hurdle.
    Read through complete text - I let them read it (aloud).
    If you want to work towards the acquisition of a particular word class, let them underline those in the English version (e.g. adjectives, pretty, boring, noisy, big, small...).
    Get the Spanish text out, play the audio (if available) and let students read along, then display a list of words in English (key vocab or those worked on before, e.g. adjectives) for which they have to look in the Spanish version.
    By now they should be able to find the words fairly quickly - some will need to refer a lot to the English version (comparing sentences), some might be able to do it without assistance.
    Then add more difficult comprehension questions re the content. I like to have these in the TL rather than E even if it takes a little longer to check understanding of these first.
    In the accompanying PPT and worksheets I include lots of pictures too.
    One of the texts I did was a travel report (My last holiday) of a girl who travelled to Peru, the text contained lots of place names in the native language such as Macchu Picchu, but I played a little clip about that area (youtube) and played Andean music as a timer for the activities.
    They were really engaged - for the 2 or 3 students of higher ability I included lots of extension work (written response etc.).

Don't know if that's something for you?