1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Explanatory texts - year 4.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chocoholic1, Mar 15, 2009.

1. chocoholic1

chocoholic1 New commenter

Help please, am getting myself all in a muddle with this unit. The Framework talks about distinguishing between reports, recounts and explanatory texts. At the risk of sounding really stupid, what are the differences? And where do instructions fit in?
    Also, I'm having real trouble finding examples of explanatory texts, especially ones that are suitable for my low ability class.
    Help please!

2. chocoholic1

chocoholic1 New commenter

Help please, am getting myself all in a muddle with this unit. The Framework talks about distinguishing between reports, recounts and explanatory texts. At the risk of sounding really stupid, what are the differences? And where do instructions fit in?
    Also, I'm having real trouble finding examples of explanatory texts, especially ones that are suitable for my low ability class.
    Help please!

3. Spugs21

Spugs21 New commenter

I just did this unit, we watched newsround and decided whether the clips were explaining something (explaining how or why) recounting (recounting an event) or information (general information about something we may be interested in). Then we sorted actual articles into the same categories.

We cut explanation texts up and found the features (introduction, present tense, time connectives, casual connectives and paragraphs).

When we got onto writing the text we watched a wallace and gromit cracking contractions video downloaded from youtube. It worked really wll and the kids loved it.

Hope this helps, don't spose you've taught the playscript unit yet? I'm pulling my hair out!

4. If you go onto the framework site and look at text types it will define each one for you.
    I always have to check to make sure I'm getting them the right way round. Primary Resources (www.primaryresources.co.uk) have a lot of good stuff for this.
    If you go and chat to the Y2 teacher she should have some guided reading books which will be explanatory texts. I'm sure she would lend them to you. If you're lucky she might even have some big books.
    I've always found Sue Palmer's Big Books to be excellent to introduce different text types. Her writing skeletons are really useful and give you a good basis for writing.