1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Explanations Year Two

Discussion in 'Primary' started by clawthorpegirl, Jan 2, 2011.

1. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Hi
    Just about got my head around this (new to Y2), week one we are practising alphabetical order, finding defintiaions in glossaries and writing our own glossary based on last terms Science work on electricity. Then we are going to look at some example flowcharts.
    Week Two we are looking at more flow charts, making human flow charts and then writing our own - problem I'm having is thinking of something we can actually explain! We'll be two weeks into our project The World at Play, just starting Science work on healthy lifestyles. Also I'm being observed middle of week two by our head and a head from another school who wants to see what a good / outstanding lesson looks like (no pressure then!)
    Week Three will be actually writing our own explanation texts.
    So my question is what things have other people asked thier children to explain, am thinking maybe something like how cheese is made but not feeling at all inspired! Any great 'hooks' into the writing much appreciated, again am thinking maybe we need to explain something really simple for an alien visitor or similar.
    Thanks in advance for any help

2. I just had an ovservation by my head on Wriritg Instructions. I made chocolate rice crispies the day before and they wrote the instructions for the observation. I used a wonderful website Jan Fearnley - Hungry Mr Wolf to show examples of recipes. The children really loved it and the lesson went well. Obviously you wouldnt be able to do choc crispies if youre doing healthy eating but you could do making a healthy sandwich. You could link it with maths - (graphs etc) In my experience anything with food goes down well.
    Good luck

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

What happens to the body when you exercise
    How blood is pumped around the body
    Life cycles

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

A balanced diet - what purpose each food type has

5. porker

porker New commenter

If you want to link in to last term's science you could explain how a torch works.

6. Taught Year 2 for several years.
    With respect to suggestions above, beware choosing something they will find tricky to understand before even writing anything. The LO is about writing the explanation, not understanding it at a great depth. Things small children are not familiar with will just end up with you spending time explaining what comes next, rather than focussing on the text genre.
    I've always done the life cycle of a frog. It's easy to find resources, the children usually have some understanding of it to begin with and it always works well.

7. Think original postee was asking about explanatory writing, not instructions? Very different - explanations deal with causal connectives - "The adult frog lays many eggs because not all of them will survive." "The tadpole has tiny gills so it can live underwater."
    [​IMG]

8. I used a clip from BBC Planet Earth of the lifecycle of the periodical cicada with a group of average ability year 2s last year. We then acted it out and created flow charts before writing the explanation.

9. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Thanks for all the help and advice, much appreciated.