1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

explanation texts. Year 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by slippeddisc, Oct 22, 2008.

1. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Can anyone suggest a topic that I could do for explanation texts for year 4.

So far have come up with daft things like explain to your grandma what a ipod is and how it works.

2. slippeddisc

Can anyone suggest a topic that I could do for explanation texts for year 4.

So far have come up with daft things like explain to your grandma what a ipod is and how it works.

3. We've looked at can openers and such and as we are studying rivers next half term the children will be writing an explanation text about river, from source to mouth as their final outcome. Can you tie it in with what you are already doing in topic?

4. sallymgoodman

sallymgoodman New commenter

My year 4 have been making posters all week. On my wall I now have: how toast is made, how tea is made, how clothes are washed, how washing up is done, how flowers grow out of seeds, how the internal combustion engine works (G&T kid), how to skip, how to get new toys by nagging your parents (I liked that one), why Arsenal are the best team EVER and how to pass notes in class without Miss Goodman noticing.

Have you looked at 'Until I met Dudley'? Fantastic book.

5. slippeddisc

Great ideas, thanks.

6. I love 'Until I met Dudley' too! I use that (and make and eat toast!) and Wallace and Grommits Cracking Contraptions DVD

7. I role play being an old lady who has a dog which she cannot take out for a walk (bad hips etc.) The children have to design a dog exercising machine and the write an explanation of how it works. The whole thing is great fun and the children get really enthused about it. Also because it is their own idea and involves a lot of creativity every child, no matter what their ability is able to have a go.

8. I can't see that topic without thinking of the kid I had who chose to write a wonderful explanation of how to use a library and finished it with the little note that "and it's also a really good place to meet cute boys!"
    Obviously we've all been doing it wrong all these years ladies!

9. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Wallace and Gromit's Cracking Contraptions is fantastic - would definitely agree with that one!

10. My class loved Until I Met Dudley too. I got my class to design their own robot that could do a job for them that they didn't like to do, and then write an explanation to show how it worked. I've also linked it to my India topic before and asked them to write about how and why where we live is different to Chembakolli.

11. Did this last year. Started off by getting children to give me instructions to draw a house on IWB. I followed their instructions exactly - so if they said 'put a line there' I just put a line there etc. It focussed them in to making instructions specific. I then modelled how to make a pop up card, children wrote explanation of how to make them, then children swapped work and had to make a popup card using each other's instructions. They then used post it notes to mark each other's work according to agreed success criteria.

This took 4 or 5 lessons and it worked really well.

12. We did mummification process explanation texts. Obviously, one feature is the present tense and this was past tense, but it is a good teaching point and cross curricular. There are plenty of resources about it and the children love the blood and guts. We did still scenes of the different parts of the mummification process and it's pretty self-explanatory from then on. It worked really well.

13. Many good suggestions given already. I would just be careful not to focus too much on the instructional side of it (following, giving, writing instructions) but ensure that they are explaining a process or answering a question (how something works). Include diagrams/flowcharts, introduction, sequential paragraphs, connectives, usually present tense, passive voice, subheadings and key language. I-pod idea could be good. : )