1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Explanation text lesson

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lucy1986, Mar 11, 2012.

1. I am being observed soon teaching writing an explanation to year 5!

On the previous day we have mad science coming in to teach 'square bubbles' and I am writing up an explanation the next day.

I have a few ideas- Giving the children photos of what happened, going through the key features etc, just wondered if anyone has some WOW ideas, I am just blank at the moment!

Thanks in advance if you can help.

2. I am being observed soon teaching writing an explanation to year 5!

On the previous day we have mad science coming in to teach 'square bubbles' and I am writing up an explanation the next day.

I have a few ideas- Giving the children photos of what happened, going through the key features etc, just wondered if anyone has some WOW ideas, I am just blank at the moment!

Thanks in advance if you can help.

3. Mouse trap game? or Cracking Contraptions Wallace and Grommit for some great examples. A Grand Day Out is also good, or the film Dangle, which is on Youtube. With Dangle, the children should explain how the light switch works.

4. And I've just read your post properly! Ignore the above, I've just realised you weren't looking for ideas!

5. Causal connectives are really important e.g so that, consequently, because, and this causes. You could display/model/refer to these while repeating a simple science experiment with the class, then award points to children using these in their own oral/written explanations.

6. also all the Ws... who what why when which... and how
    and time connectives too.