1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Explaining the use of several sentences to Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Midgelou49, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Midgelou49

Midgelou49 New commenter

Hello,

I would like to do a focused lesson on using several capital letters and full stops in writing but I don't really know where to start, having a bit of a brain frazzled moment (and it's only the first day back)! A lot of my children write me one long sentence with no full stops in and I wondered if I could do anything imparticular to model breaking the writing down into several sentences using capital letters and full stops.

Also, should this be something I focus on? Or will it develop with age and time?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Miss Laura Lou B

2. Midgelou49

Midgelou49 New commenter

Hello,

I would like to do a focused lesson on using several capital letters and full stops in writing but I don't really know where to start, having a bit of a brain frazzled moment (and it's only the first day back)! A lot of my children write me one long sentence with no full stops in and I wondered if I could do anything imparticular to model breaking the writing down into several sentences using capital letters and full stops.

Also, should this be something I focus on? Or will it develop with age and time?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Miss Laura Lou B

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Use of correct capitals and full stops is definitely a Y1 thing, and most Y1 kids know they need to use them - at the start and end of a sentence. However most of them struggle to know what a sentence is (and as an adult can you easily define it? I can't.)
    Explain a full stop is a breathing space. With older kids I take what they've written and if there's no full stops I don't take a breath. It sounds ridiculous, and they get the point. With Y1s you will need to model a bit more. Maybe talk about a full stop showing it's the end of the first thing you want to say - ie if you stopped talking completely after it, would what you've said make sense? And once they've done their writing, do the reading it out thing, and ask them to stop you where they think you should breathe?

4. notasstressedasilook

notasstressedasilook New commenter

I agree - and we've also worked on only writing 'and' once in a sentence! (Or 'then' ...) Today we read and reread sentences together to find out where the full stops need to go - they began to hear the pauses and use full stops correctly. It takes a while though! :0)

5. Last year with my poor 3s I had them write one sentence in one colour and their next sentence in another colour. Eventually they got the idea of full stop and capital letter and then I slowly reverted them back to pencil. It was a slog if I am honest but it was really visual for my V. SEN children especially and they are great at them now (when they are concentrating)

6. If you havent done so already, make sure they really do know the difference between a capital letter and a lower case letter and use that terminology. Writing capitals, sorting lower and capital letters, finding capitals in a piece of text, punctuating a piece of text themselves so that thay are concentrating on that rather than what they want to write. Introduce kung fu punctuation and make sure they tell you how you to write a sentence every time you want them to write something!

7. Midgelou49

Midgelou49 New commenter

Thank you all for getting back to me, its a big help :) x