1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

explaining halves and quarters to year two...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tick/star/smileyface, Dec 5, 2007.

1. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

...any suggestions for making it understandable? or activities for a one off lesson?

2. tick/star/smileyface

...any suggestions for making it understandable? or activities for a one off lesson?

3. We used pizzas and let the kids eat them after they had shared them out. Pizza also can be quite good for addressing misconceptions about the sizeof the slices and equal amounts. Cake is also good if you feel inclined to share cake with children,( I do not personally) just hide it if you're a "Healthy School"

4. tick/star/smileyface

thank you snuffly. would you go any further than halves and quarters with year 2?

5. WIth my Y4 low ability maths set I got paper plates and cut them in half and quarters. We talked about adding fractions and I demonstrating, using the pieces of plates, that 1/4 of a plate + 1/4 of a plate = 1/2 a plate etc. This could be extended:
    5 and a 1/2 plates and 2 1/2 plates = etc

They really enjoyed it.

6. I did this last week using 1 cake toshow 1/2 and another cake to show quaters. Mine didnt eat the cakes as i had written the fraction on the cakes when i cut them!
    i used the cake cake to show how two quarters is the same as a half and how 3/4 looks.

I first showed the 1/2 and they then went off to shade halves of shapes. then they came back and we did a qaurter.

for lesson on quarters of numbers i had four children stood up at the front who became 1/4s-I stuck a 1/4 label on them. we then shared out books amonsgt the quarters in order to find 1/4 of that number. the activity after was to them work in groups of 4 so that they were a 1/4 each and repeat the main teaching of sharing a number between the 1/4s to find 1/4.

7. We have been doing that this week. Started with paper folding (squares and circles), lots of repetition and emphasis on being exact - cutting them out and checking if they match. Also used mirrors on shapes to see if the reflected image matched the hidden part of the shape - they liked that one. Lots of folding, colouring and shading of halves and quarters of different shapes and investigating irregular and regular shapes to see which can be halved. I've done it all in a practical way.

8. Oh, forgot to say that they very quickly understand it if you relate it to being fair. Eg, demonstrate that splitting a bar of chocolate (or in our healthy school, a piece of toast) in halves is fair if the two pieces are exactly the same, but not fair if I have a big piece and you have a smaller piece. I make it a very small piece for the child! They can relate to that very easily.

9. It depends upon the ability ranges in your class, we did some 3rds and talked about the concept of 5ths, 6ths, 7ths, 8ths, 9ths and 10ths with a few of the higher abilities who grasped it in no time, went really well.

10. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

Here's a FREE PowerPoint I used to introduce a nice easy 'game' with numbers. Pairs for halves, fours for quarters. The link is...
    http://www.ks1resources.co.uk/Numeracy%20colouring%20half...
    (allow time to download)

If the PP link above doesn't work you'll find the PowerPoint at the bottom of this page on my site alongside a couple of other bits for Y2.
    http://www.ks1resources.co.uk/page10.html

Other than that I liked using Roamer and if you ever wanted freebies for that there's a large free section via my homepage :)

11. tick/star/smileyface

wow, thank you so much everyone :) everyone is so kind on here

12. Smarties ... sharing them out equally into 2 pots (halves), 4 pots (quarters) etc ...

Different to pizzas but just as yummy!!!!!

13. tick/star/smileyface

any ideas for a quick fun plenary?

14. squirrel9367

squirrel9367 New commenter

Give out cards with picture of half or quarter of a shape shaded - or could use picture of food apple, pizza etc cut into fractions.Other half have fraction written down and they have to find a correct partner.