1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Explain the advertisement please...where's the fine print?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by sabrinakat, Nov 3, 2015.

?

Is this ad...

1. stupid

2. misleading

3. funny (funny, sigh not funny haha)

4. yawn

5. I think Sabrinakat missed the more serious thread where an erudite discussion clarified this already

6. Did Sabrinakat have a few too many G&Ts...

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

So, I saw the infamous recruitment advert tonight and whilst I know we've been discussing it...huh?

22-27k for a starting salary. Maybe 27k in central London, I was on 24.5k on outer London MP1 as an 'nqt' equivalent last year.

30k to train tax-free. Really? With a first (or PhD in my case), I think the bursary is 24k but only in selected subjects. (Classics/Latin/Greek counts but there are only 32 places at either Cambridge or KCL, although I am aware of new 'joint' PGCEs...)

So you can make 65k as a great teacher - define and clarify.

So misleading, so wrong, so...annoying. Mr SK turned to me and said why aren't you on 65k? If looks could kill (or at least shut up Mr SK, who makes x3! I've moved back into the independent sector and am earning a little more than the middle number above so am happy enough (Assessment only QTS in final stages.

Can we report this ad to the Advertising Standards Agency?

lanokia likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh my I'd find it so funny if the ad was reported to the ASA.

monicabilongame likes this.
  3. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I think someone from the NUT has report the advert to the ASA as it is a misrepresentation.

It's a pack of lies! £65k - yeah right.

lizziescat and Lascarina like this.
  4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Has been ad been on before or at least,something very similar? I know this one is meant to be new but I'm sure that was one the same a few years ago,with the same lines (playing on words with what money teachers "make" vs what their pupils become)

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

They were running a similarly grossly misleading ad (re pay) a few years ago, I recall - the pay a teacher "could" receive was a few quid under what I was then getting. As the head of a large secondary school.

It would be pathetic if it were not so incredibly annoying.

We've already had, by the way, a trainee a little while ago asking if it were true that the pay he could expect in his first year as a qualified teacher...would be less than his top-end bursary.

6. Middlemarch

Just to add - many will recall the risible "Those who can - teach" ads. Members of my SLT and I went for an end of year trip to the pictures together and this ad was screened for the first time (that any of us had seen it). We sat in rapt silence until the punchline, when we all burst out into gales of laughter, much to the amazement of the (quite full) cinema.

7. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Yes, we had those in the States (the ads about those who can teach, etc)....sigh

8. Middlemarch

The English ones? Or a US version?