1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

expiry dates...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon1369, Jan 6, 2011.

1. As I am sat here muching away on philadelphia which is a month out of date it got me thinking. Me and my partner have totally opposite opinions when it comes to things like this.
    I don't pay much attention to expiry dates and usually go by look/smell/taste - bar meat as I am too scared ha. He would have a heart attack if he knew what I was eating right now! However I bought the mini tubs of philadelphia which contain one portion each and I am not keen on throwing them all away. They are individually sealed and are absolubtly fine!
    I had a tub of clotted cream which I didn't open until the date it expired. I went back to the fridge 2 days later to get it to have with my cake and what? It was gone!!!!! MrCrazy's mother had thrown it out because it was 'out of date' - you can see where he gets it from!
    I was trying to explain to MrCrazy that it would have been fine as it had only been open 2 days and was only 2 days out of date. It's not like the day after expiry the food sudden becomes soiled! But obviously he was having none of it! I was actually rather annoyed that it had been thrown away without even asking me but nevermind.
    So what do you think about expiry dates? Are you overly cautious like MrCrazy or do you play it by ear like me?

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Didn't grow up with expiry dates so I tend to just give it a sniff and a ***. I use my common sense. Mr. Egyptgirl grew up with a mother who cleaned her fridge out every week and rotated things (she even throws away things a day before they go out of date "just to be on the safe side"). If I eat something out of date, he goes mad and then for days afterwards keeps asking me "are you alright" all the time to check to see if I've got salmonella.

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

p.r.o.d. - didn't know this was a swearword/offensive?

4. Ooh, gis a dip in your philly.
    Dates don't worry me, am with you here, look, smell, taste then eat.

5. This is certainly one of my pet peeves - I hate it when people throw away perfectly good because it was past it's sell-by-date.
    If it looks okay and smells okay then I'm happy.
    A colleague once threw out my 2 litre carton of milk that I'd brought in that morning and had been in my freezer. I found it sitting in the bin an hour later. When I asked why she'd thrown it she said 'but it's a day after it's use-by date'. She hadn't even taken a sniff and binned it purely after looking at the date.
    Bah.

6. no i'll eat a yoghurt that a month out.

7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Depends on the food. Something sealed like Philly is probably ok if it is unopened. Vacuum packs may be ok after sell by date for same reason. Dried foods like packet soups are fine if the contents remain sealed and unexposed to the air. Tinned goods are fine if undented, and should go for years after the date if unopened and not rusting.
    Remember the date is a cop out to prevent sueing the producer. They are based on averages, so something may stay edible for longer while other things don't. Yogurt is a culture of bacteria and will prevent other bugs growing in it, hence they can last for ages, often same with cheeses.

8. charlotte.johnson06

charlotte.johnson06 New commenter

Since I had my food hygiene training two years ago, I have been really finicky about food and expiry dates.
    If a meat goes out of date, I wouldn't eat it. It would go straight in the bin.
    I did sit here and eat a sandwich using bread from a loaf that had gone out of date two-three days before.. I'm still here! [​IMG].
    My OH has been known to eat yoghurts two-three days after the expiry date and he has been okay! He did drink milk that was two days out of date because he doesn't look at the carton or smell it... hehe. I chuckled at that one.

9. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

At present, my slow cooker is bubbling away with a stew that includes a flavouring mix that went out of date in March!
    That's not the oldest one I've used (I think 2 years is my record)[​IMG]

I'll not be telling my hubby that though as he throws things away within an hour of their best before date expiring.

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

As Jacob said,some dates are purely a safeguard for the manufacturer or seller.

Sell-by date, a shop can be prosecuted if it sells a product which is past this date.

Use by dates, OK generally you have 1-3 days leeway on meat, cheese ignore it, cream-about a week or so, same with milk, eggs etc. Fish, probably ok the day after but don't risk it any longer.

Best before is a guarantee of quality, mainly stuff that does not go off quickly eg biscuits may be a bit soft after the date, but you can eat them. Same with canned foods but don't use if the can is 'blown'.

11. Our xmas tradition is raiding my Grans larder, as she never throws anything away! I think our record is finding something dated 1986, a couple of years ago, she still uses it all, and we're all still here so I don't think its that bad. However, if you are ever given a bottle of tonic water that is so old its pulled back in on itself, from experience, I would recommend binning it, even if you are told "its fine"!!!!
    I avoid her fridge, as you never know what delights you are going to find in there!
    Oh and apparently the Clover in my fridge is out of date, still tastes fine to me!

12. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I had a houseguest last year who poured away an entire bottle of (unopened) milk because it was on it's expiry date. It made me really cross. It would've been fine and I'd most likely have used it to make macaroni cheese or something to use it up. Just turned milk is good for scones, too (this milk had not soured BTW)

13. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I had a houseguest last year who poured away an entire bottle of (unopened) milk because it was on its expiry date. It made me really cross. It would've been fine and I'd most likely have used it to make macaroni cheese or something to use it up. Just turned milk is good for scones, too (this milk had not soured BTW)

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'll eat most things at a week or so after the so-called expiry date if they're not obviously mouldy and don't smell bad. I'm quite happy to cut the mouldy bits off and eat the good bits to avoid waste. I routinely rummage around the 'expiring' yellow label items in Sainsbury's to get my bargain meals for the next few days.

My kids however are paranoid about expiry dates. Social conditioning I suppose.

15. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Just opened a pack of corned beef slices dated 3rd Jan, perfectly ok, going on butties tomorrow.

16. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I will eat pretty much anything past its dates and just go by common sense - look and smell and obviously if it tasted funny - had a few 'fizzy' yougurts before and sometimes this was before their use by date!
    The only thing I am a chicken about is fresh meat (no pun intended). If I'm not going to use it in time I will freeze it to use later.

17. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

LMAO My Nan is exaclty the same! We wonder if it is something to do with going through the war! It is starnge if she feeds us with anything in date!

18. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I'm with you, Crazy! And my husband is exactly the same as Mr C.
    If the cheese or whatever is labelled 'use by 06 Jan 11' I guarantee you that he's in that fridge at one nanosecond past midnight on 06 Jan to gather it up and launch it in the bin, in case we all die of some dread disease by dint of its mere presence!
    I (used to) regularly eat stuff days past the 'use by' and I've never had food poisoning in my puff. If it looks okay, feels okay and smells okay, then it usually is... okay!
    p.s. my parents both lived through WW2 and rationing so I suspect that explains a lot. [​IMG]

19. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I'd just like to point out that I do draw the line at scraping the moudly green bits off the bread before making toast. My friend does that. Eeeeesh!

20. catmother

catmother Star commenter

You get some right bargains on prepacked vegs and fruits at my local Coop! As it's in a package,it has a date on it and they drastically reduce the price of such items,despite the fact that apples or potatoes will keep for weeks and weeks if stored correctly. Don't remember such items being reduced when it used to be Sommerfield.Still,who is complaining?