1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Experts speak out over language support failures

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Feb 22, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Funding cuts have left schools ill-equipped to deal with teaching and learning.

End of.

Moderation in Moderation.

3. brothermunro

brothermunro Occasional commenter

Agreed. Plus additional bureaucracy, 'initiatives' and course development leave staff little time to actually focus on teaching and learning.

4. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

Scottish Government are dealing with this, 2 + 1 all our kids are learning 2 extra languages. We will be multi lingual soon. I understand the benefit of learning a language however I do object to time being taken to learn 2 languages when as a secondary teacher I have to teach 12 & 13 yr olds that can not read and write in English, I had a pupil that could not count past 20 and could not give change from a £1.

I currently have a class where 11 out of 19 would be reading level A thank God reading level A is gone and they all jumped to level 3 CfE as I would "have to explain why they are not level 3, can you prove that, where is your level 1 or 2 test"

These pupils should be in a place where their additional needs are supported not masked by cfe. Cuts have also meant that the classroom assistant (she is great) now only comes 1 period a week.

Best wee country in the world,

5. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

To be fair to Scotchland, state schools all over the world will be in a similar situation, subby.

Doesn't stop politicians, of any flavour, banging on about how important education is. Remember New Labour with its "education, education, education" jobbies?

Moderation in Moderation.