1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Experiential Lessons - Sue Phillips again - Poverty and the Third World

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by durgamata, Jan 28, 2011.

1. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Hi guys, responding to the thread about inspirational RE rooms I mentioned the work of Sue Phillips.

know the classroom with the ribbons on the ceiling. I also worked in that school. The RE teacher had been there for years and was brilliant. She arranged the chairs around a central focus area and often used this as a source of inspiration for reflective activity - some inspired by Sue Phillips - and inspirational teacher who created the approach called 'Theatre for Learning. I'll put a bit about her on My Resources!!

So tonight I was inspired to read more on Sue's website and see what resources are available free. I found that there are three books you can buy which explain Experiential Lessons which Sue created. Part of the book is available as a free download, so I had a look at it. It tells the story of Sarita and her family who are living on the street in Kolkata.

Since I have lived in Kolkata, taught in a school for street children and have several family members living there, I was inspired to write a reflection on Cardboard City - and Sarita's story. I have uploaded these and hope they will prove useful,
    when you are teaching about poverty and the Third World. I will email both Sue's exercise and my response to relatives and friends in Kolkata and get their responses if I can. Then it will really start to have some quality feedback. It will be a strong resource for this topic and also work on Community Cohesion.

2. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Hi guys, responding to the thread about inspirational RE rooms I mentioned the work of Sue Phillips.

know the classroom with the ribbons on the ceiling. I also worked in that school. The RE teacher had been there for years and was brilliant. She arranged the chairs around a central focus area and often used this as a source of inspiration for reflective activity - some inspired by Sue Phillips - and inspirational teacher who created the approach called 'Theatre for Learning. I'll put a bit about her on My Resources!!

So tonight I was inspired to read more on Sue's website and see what resources are available free. I found that there are three books you can buy which explain Experiential Lessons which Sue created. Part of the book is available as a free download, so I had a look at it. It tells the story of Sarita and her family who are living on the street in Kolkata.

Since I have lived in Kolkata, taught in a school for street children and have several family members living there, I was inspired to write a reflection on Cardboard City - and Sarita's story. I have uploaded these and hope they will prove useful,
    when you are teaching about poverty and the Third World. I will email both Sue's exercise and my response to relatives and friends in Kolkata and get their responses if I can. Then it will really start to have some quality feedback. It will be a strong resource for this topic and also work on Community Cohesion.