1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Experiences of tutoring wealthy families abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by CaraShaldon, Jul 5, 2019.

1. CaraShaldon

CaraShaldon New commenter

Hello,

I am considering applying for a Tutors International job for after school and weekend tutoring to 2 children. It is a live out job, with a very high salary, and accommodation is provided. Does anyone have any experience of this kind of work? I know that I will miss the social aspect of classroom teaching. Anyone's personal experience of this would be great to hear.

Thanks.

2. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Hi there. Feel free to message me as I worked for TI teaching children of a well known Royal family.

3. wanderman22

wanderman22 New commenter

Can you share your responses with the forum? My first thought was that this sounds like a scam.

4. frogusmaximus

Hi wanderman22

No I want go into personal details about the high profile family who I worked for and also the agency TI.

Happy to respond to private messages as I have for 'Cara' and run through the highs and lows of my whole experience. Definitely not a scam and one glance at their website would tell you that. On the contrary they are very professional and working for them could change your life; it opened my mind to new adventures.

5. 576

576 Established commenter

6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I personally couldn't think of anything worse. I like my freedom at the end of the day and it sounds a lot like a 24 hour job (especially if you're out on their yacht for weeks on end) but I absolutely see why people do it with the money offered.

576 likes this.
  7. frogusmaximus

8. wanderman22

wanderman22 New commenter

Sure! Let's go PM. I guess my questions would all involve how to apply for jobs like this.

I spent a few years making pretty good money in Saudi Arabia using just my BA in English. Now I am in the US and I just finished my teaching cert and closing in on my Master's in Teaching, but I've been bitterly disappointed to find the high paying jobs seem to be gone.

I want to find the high-paid foreign work again and tutoring for the rich sounds like it might be a way to do that. How did you break into that field?

9. frogusmaximus

Search online for opportunities, though there are a few agencies that do this type of thing and the guardian link is a good one. The spec just matched me perfectly. It was a one off job though and you don't 'work' for the agency once the term of the post is over.