1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Experienced teachers: first cut and last hired

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jun 12, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

In other professions, an experienced employee would be valued for their many years in the job cultivating their skills and knowledge, but in teaching with schools facing a funding crisis it seems that expensive teachers are a dispensable commodity.

Emma Kell writes about the reality experienced teachers face in some schools:

‘…There is a much darker phenomenon in schools that I fear will increasingly become the norm…Heads are standing up and announcing the beginning of a formal procedure… Anyone who does decide to take redundancy (or, as seems to be increasingly the case, the kind of "settlement agreements" people in the media and business refer to in hushed tones) is asked to sign a document saying that, in return for a positive reference, they will not speak or write of the incident…

We have a teacher crisis though, yes? A seasoned veteran in the profession is bound to be snapped up. Hang on, though: he’s worth five NQTs, so unless he’s prepared to accept a third of his salary, perhaps not. He still has a mortgage to pay and 12 years before he can officially retire. As I say, sleepless nights.

I know people in this position and I want to cry for them. I fear that this isn’t going to go away. It makes me gnash and rant and rail once more at this double-edged crisis of funding cuts and teacher shortages that has led us to this.’

Emma Kell is a secondary teacher in north-east London

What are your views about this issue? Is it fair that once highly valued staff may be at risk of losing their jobs? Surely we should be doing more to keep experienced teachers in the profession given that we are in a recruitment and retention crisis, what do you think is the answer to this growing problem?

https://www.tes.com/news/experienced-teachers-first-cut-last-hired

2. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

It's part and parcel of running the state system into the ground.

3. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

Ah well yes but this is not exactly new, is it?

A seasoned veteran worth 5 NQTs? Wouldn't thst make tbe salary of the seasoned veteran 100k +?

Might it be that kell has just twigged that HER job might be under threat?

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  4. catbefriender

catbefriender Senior commenter

I think they may be referring to an UT or an ST.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Chirpy1

Chirpy1 New commenter

It appears worse now since academies have taken over. They employ Human Resource professionals who know how to make teachers 'disappear' on paper at least. Once upon a time it would take ages to remove a teacher. Now I am reading and hearing some are given 3 hours to make a decision and clear out. Why? They're expensive I presume. Yet 'evidence' is gathered about them. They are put in difficult positions and forced to go. All above board.

6. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Teaching has become the new nasty profession.
    What a sad state of affairs. How on earth did it come to this? Being a Primary school teacher used to be a wonderful job.

7. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

If you changed it so the seasoned veteran was worth 2 NQTs then this would be completely true. A huge number of schools have deficit budgets so they need to cut somewhere. The unions have been stripped of power because many academy chains simply don't recognise them. This is just what the Tories want. The only way to fight back is to publicise the dire situation to anyone considering training to be a teacher which will in time reduce the supply of cheap NQTs.

8. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

of course, in all other professions the experienced would be on the golf course and being paid consultancy rates while the youngsters do the actual work.
    Funny how in teaching, experience is completely ignored, while at the same time much hair tearing goes on about poor behaviour and the lack of skills to manage it. When I started, all the old lags had classes that consistently got the best results, often because they had behaviour off pat. Doubtless the same could still hold true, but who will ever know now?

9. install

install Star commenter

Sadly, with the skill of 'teaching' being undermined by some people that dont even teach eg some Ofsted types, some hts, and some CEOs, comes the notion that younger and newer teachers are ready made, more mouldable, fearful and maybe less family orientated.

'Experience' has possibly come to mean a dangerous word in education as a whole. Afterall,.so many Curriculum and Pay changes over the years have seemingly tried to ensure that no one gets too experienced. And some leadership groups maybe also do not want to appreciate, recognise or acknowledge the experience of their staff. :cool:

10. haharr

haharr New commenter

I have just come back from teaching abroad, got a one year maternity contract in a sixth form college since last september, started applying for jobs in March, have done 20+ so far (lost count really) but only 3 interviews, no results. I have 20+ years teaching experience and teach Biology & Chemistry to A level, all sciences to GCSE, but aren't even getting shortlisted for GCSE or key stage 3 jobs. This is ridiculous. If only parents knew what was really going on, this wilful drive to provide a cheap as possible service on the front line whilst rewarding managers for cutthroat egomania in the boardroom. This is the preparatory phase. Full privatisation is next, in effect all ready here, with all the joys for the ordinary folk that brings. Shareholders will rejoice, however - I wonder who they will be....?

11. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Senior commenter

I am sorry to hear your experiences, @haharr. I have the same subject set as yours, and exactly the same happens to me.

Too many SMTs fear the 'Emperor's New Clothes Effect', if they hire older, experienced staff.

agathamorse, woollani and tonymars like this.
  12. 1EIREANN

1EIREANN New commenter

It has been brought to my attention that some teachers have been making consistent mistakes in teaching and correcting mathematics. These teachers have been evaluated as "Outstanding" as they can perform during observations and robotically teach with pace, refer to success criteria and differentiate.Experienced teachers please ------!

13. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

As an experienced teacher, it is probably worth asking an agency to find a role for you. That way the schools that ignore your direct applications can instead pay a finders fee to the agency for taking the time to find out what you can do for the school. You will still get paid to scale for a long term post arranged properly.

14. nervousned

nervousned Established commenter

Any young teacher seeing this happen time after time should really be considering if teaching is really a life long career.

15. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Older (and this seems to mean over 40 now), experiences teachers not only face the prospect of having s big fat target on their backs but are also forced to listen whilst everyone from the government down trumpet the achievements of younger members of the profession. Sowing the seeds so that when they finally come for you the self doubt has set in.

agathamorse, tonymars and Shedman like this.
  16. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Funny that, but thinking back to my school days I can remember good, or great, teachers who were 40+. But, I honestly can't think of a single young teacher who was in the least impressive.

agathamorse, woollani and Mrsmumbles like this.
  17. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

All bellends!

agathamorse and thekillers1 like this.
  18. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

It’s so amusing, as these kids are not immortals; they too will age. Who will replace them? Droids? Or nobody? Bin men?! Freddy the hamster? I refuse to respect the majority of these puffed up good managers who expect everything and know and deliver nowt. Karma’s gonna get ‘em! Put that in your sellf-reflective journal of self appraisal and pedagogical betterment..

agathamorse and tonymars like this.
  19. thekillers1

thekillers1 Established commenter

I’ve lost my UPS to keep my career going.

agathamorse and woollani like this.
  20. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I am 62. I am going nowhere unless they sack me. I don't give a flying fig about a reference.

woollani likes this.