1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Experienced teacher who can't get a job!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sage1, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I have recently returned from teaching in an International School for 5 years where I believe I really developed as a teacher. I was Literacy Coordinator and KS1 Coordinator and taught Year 4 for 2 years and Year 1 for 3. Previous to this I spent 3 years teaching in Year 5 and 4 after qualifying so felt very confident that I would gain employment on my return. Therefore I was very shocked, disappointed and saddened to find that after 22 applications and 7 interviews I am still without a job. The feedback I am getting is I have been out of the country too long but that can't be the only reason as why give me an interview if they already know this? Please could you advise me on how to get back into teaching in the UK, do I need to do voluntary work? (I have been doing supply since Jan) Are there any courses that I can go on to get more up to date with the UK system? Hope you can help! Thanks
    Julie

2. Dear Theo,
    I have recently returned from teaching in an International School for 5 years where I believe I really developed as a teacher. I was Literacy Coordinator and KS1 Coordinator and taught Year 4 for 2 years and Year 1 for 3. Previous to this I spent 3 years teaching in Year 5 and 4 after qualifying so felt very confident that I would gain employment on my return. Therefore I was very shocked, disappointed and saddened to find that after 22 applications and 7 interviews I am still without a job. The feedback I am getting is I have been out of the country too long but that can't be the only reason as why give me an interview if they already know this? Please could you advise me on how to get back into teaching in the UK, do I need to do voluntary work? (I have been doing supply since Jan) Are there any courses that I can go on to get more up to date with the UK system? Hope you can help! Thanks
    Julie

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

carry on with supply, target fixed term work for maternity covers. I applied for a post last term and was told that they had 60 applicants for an inner city post!
    A friend of mine had to apply for more than 120 posts to get her deputy headship, but eventually got there!
    With 20 years experience, i am struggling just as you are, so good luck, hopefully we will both get there in the end!

4. Thanks for your reply and advice. Good luck to you too!

5. I really feel 4 you, there's plenty (too many) of good teachers out of work. I have applied for more jobs than that and have only been shortlisted for a few. If it's not one reason, it'll be another! I used to be told I didn't have enough experience, now i'm told nqts are cheaper!

If anyone is in a permanent job you would be mad to leave unless of personal circumstances.i keep thinking I should get out of teaching but I know deep down there is nothing I would enjoy as much as I love teaching! Sorry I couldn't be more positive, we are all in the same boat :)

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Once you are experienced and so expensive getting class teacher posts in primary is doubly hard. In your case you also have the fact that you have been out of the country for five years and the system has moved on a bit. Why should a school pay more for you with less up to date knowledge than they would for someone with greater knowledge? I had the same problem.

Keep on with the supply, it is what I had to do when I relocated. Eventually I got a permanent post at a school where I was on long term supply. As it happens it is a school that I'd not have looked at twice to apply because it isn't the sort of school I ever envisioned myself teaching in, but I (mostly) love it.

It is hard and it does knock your confidence a lot. But you will get there in the end.