1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Experienced teacher moving to Scotland, Pay scale question

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by durianm, Jun 5, 2017.

1. durianm

durianm New commenter

Hi!

I am an experienced English teacher in Spain and am moving to Aberdeen because of family ties.
    I would like to teach Spanish here and GTCS has awarded me a full registration in TESOL and a provisional registration in Spanish (as a second subject area). I need to do 135 days FTE in order to fulfil the professional registration in Spanish.
    I found the pay scale from this website http://www.eis.org.uk/Pay_and_Conditions_of_Service/salary_scales.htm , but I am wondering if I will only be paid from point 0 (that would be quite a severe salary cut!), or will the school also counts my experience in Spain. Any ideas?
    Another question I have is whether to how to find a teaching position. Apart from responding to job ads, do you think I can write a self-recommendation letter to private schools and the Aberdeen Council (for state schools)? Is this a common practice here?

Thanks for your help!!!

2. ardglassie

ardglassie New commenter

I had a similar situation in that I had to do 135 days probation as I gained my PGCE in England and it was in Further Education and I wanted to move to secondary in Scotland. I am a maths teacher. Sadly I was paid at the bottom of the scale until I successfully completed 135 days to gain Full Registration. After that I was put on the top of the scale due to my teaching experience in England!