1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Experienced teacher losing out to NQT's

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ms Independant, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Ms Independant

Ms Independant New commenter

I had an interview today, and once again only other teachers interviewed were NQT's.

In the feedback I was told I was basically too expensive ( I have been teaching 10 years). Why do school's interview you, when they know what you earn and your experience?

I wonder what you can do to remain in teaching, when you also want to move school?

It seems that the only option is to move out of teaching, even though the feedback from interview was really good.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

3. Ms Independant

Ms Independant New commenter

Thank you, Theo :) I have read the post.

The only positive note was the Head asked me why I wasn't applying for Assistant Head jobs as I would be an asset to a struggling school who needed a strong teacher, with clear direction, who could also offer support to staff and apparently, the panel agreed that that was me.

However, they don't have any jobs coming up in SLT, otherwise she said she would have snapped me up.

4. alla_ova

alla_ova Occasional commenter

It happened to me too.. and to many others. We know how you feel. I would agree with the info in the link provided: don’t believe the feedback, because they won’t tell you the real reason anyway.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The threat of legislation hangs over most recruitment so honest answers are rare. However if you have been teaching 10 years and are only applying for classroom posts then the advice given to you was very constructive.
    You also need to realise that NQTs are coming out of training with updated information and approaches- having interviewed experienced teachers and NQTs the NQTs often look fresher and hungrier - regardless of the salary issues.

6. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Because they need a decent teacher. If they can get a decent teacher who is an NQT (and therefore less expensive), then they may well do that. But if the NQTs do not seem good enough, then it might seem worth paying more for a more experienced teacher. They won't know what kind of applicants they have until they interview them.